History

History

From the time of our first campus — affectionately known as “the barn” — to today's high-tech university grounds, environmentally-friendly buildings and diverse educational offerings, Mount Royal has continually embraced change to meet the needs of the people and community it serves.

Our facilities and programs have expanded greatly since our 1910 founding, but our purpose remains the same — to provide personalized learning that fosters the success and satisfaction of our students.

  •  

    1910

    granted charter from Alberta government

  •  

    1911

    opened with 197 students

  •  

    1931

    partnered with U of A to deliver transfer courses

  •  

    1944

    began offering engineering courses

  •  

    1948

    introduced first continuing education programs

  •  

    1949

    opened Kerby Memorial Building and Dr. G.D. Stanley gym

  •  

    1956

    created business administration department

  •  

    1960

    established independent newspaper, The Reflector

  •  

    1961

    expanded Kerby Memorial Building and opened new wing

  •  

    1967

    introduced nursing diploma program

  •  

    1968

    incorporated Students’ Association of Mount Royal College

  •  

    1972

    relocated to Lincoln Park campus, our current location

  •  

    1989

    expanded campus, with residences used for 1988 Winter Olympics

  •  

    1990

    opened campus in downtown Calgary

  •  

    1991

    established The Mount Royal College Foundation

  •  

    1995

    started first two applied baccalaureate degree programs

  •  

    1999

    set up third campus on the site of former Holy Cross Hospital

  •  

    2002

    opened Recreation facility and East A building

  •  

    2003

    finished East B Building (Bissett School of Business) and west residences

  •  

    2006

    completed Roderick Mah Centre for Continuous Learning

  •  

    2007

    introduced first baccalaureate degree in nursing

  •  

    2008

    initiated bachelor’s degrees in arts, arts — criminal justice, business administration, communication and science

  •  

    2009

    became a university and introduced a bachelor’s degree in computer information systems

  •  

    2010

    began centennial celebrations

  •  

    2011

    opened Science and Technology wing, and introduced bachelor’s degrees in education — elementary and midwifery

  •  

    2012

    joined Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS)

  •  

    2014

    launched bachelor’s degrees in health and physical education, and child studies

  •  

    2015

    unveiled the Taylor Centre for the Performing Arts and introduced Bachelor of Arts — Interior Design