Human Resources Committee Charter
Name of Committee:
Human Resources Committee
Name of Committee Sponsor:
Board of Governors
The purpose of the Human Resources Committee is to assist the Board of Mount Royal University with the governance of Human Resources.
The Committee has the authority to:
- Lead the recruitment process for the President and conclude employment contract negotiations;
- Approve terms and conditions of employment for the President;
- Set performance goals for the President and conduct performance assessments;
- Approve terms and conditions of employment for the Vice-Presidents;
- Approve the terms and conditions of employment for non-unionized employee groups;
- Approve the benefits and services provided to retirees;
- Approve mandates for collective bargaining and ratify tentative collective bargaining agreements for staff and faculty;
- Provide recommendations to the President on Human Resources policies and programs;
- Review its Charter and recommend revisions to the Board Governance and Nominating Committee for approval.
The Human Resources Committee shall consist of, at a minimum, the Chair of the Board of Governors, the Vice-Chair of the Board of Governors, Chair of the Finance Committee, two public members of the Board, and the President.
The Chair shall be the Vice-Chair of the Board of Governors of Mount Royal University.
Term of Office:
The term of office for all members of the Committee shall be one year, ending on the date of the Board’s first regular meeting in the academic year.
The quorum shall consist of a simple majority of voting members.
It is important that each member of the committee share his or her thoughts, concerns and opinions and that those thoughts be held in confidence by the entire committee. It is also important that each member of the committee hold the information provided in the strictest of confidence.
The Committee may establish procedures and policies for the conduct of its meetings, including preparation of agendas and recording of minutes as determined by the Committee from time to time.
The Committee will report, providing the appropriate level of detail, to the full Board at the next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Governors following each Committee meeting.
The University Secretariat will provide support. The Associate Vice-President, Human Resources will serve as a resource.
The records of the Committee’s decisions shall be maintained by University Secretariat office in the form of correspondence related to those decisions, legal documents, and/or minutes of meetings as appropriate.
This is a standing committee of the Board of Governors.