Top Parking Questions
- Why do we need to pay for parking?
- How do MRU parking prices compare to other Calgary Post Secondary Institutions?
- Do I have to register my vehicle with Parking and Transportation Services?
- How do permit renewals work? Will I automatically get the same tier when I renew?
- What if I forget my permit?
- What if my permit is lost or stolen?
- I don't need my permit anymore. What should I do?
- Can I sell my permit to a friend?
Online Permit Sales
- I can log into myMRU.ca but my login and password do not work for the online permit sales. Why not?
- I am trying to purchase a permit online but when I try to pay for it by credit card, the system won't let me. What can I do?
- If the permits available online sell out, should I try going to the Parking Office to buy one in person?
For any other questions, please contact the Parking Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 403.440.6914.
Top Parking Questions
The Government of Alberta does not permit the use of tuition or grant revenues to subsidize ancillary operations, which includes parking.
It is important for permit holders to register their vehicle with Parking and Transportation Services. This ensures that if you forget your permit, we can retrieve your vehicle information in the event that you receive a City parking citation. It also helps us to notify drivers of any problems such as lights left on, or accidents.
A temporary service or rental vehicle does not need to be registered, but you should ensure your parking permit is properly displayed. Long-term use of a secondary vehicle should be registered with Parking and Transportation Services.
In May, anyone holding an annual (12 month) permit is given the opportunity to renew for the upcoming year. When renewing, you are automatically eligible for the same permit type. If you wish to change permit types, you will need to make a new purchase during the regular sales period, or add your name to the waitlist when it opens.
Semester permits are not renewable, and are sold on a first-come first-served basis.
If you have an Permit Lot permit and you forget your permit, you are only permitted to park in Open Lot 6. Please call the Parking Office at 403.440.6914 or e-mail us with your name, campus ID number, and the make and plate number of your vehicle. This information will be passed to Mount Royal’s Parking Control Personnel so that no courtesy notices or City tickets are issued.
If you have a Gated Lot, East Gate Parkade or RMCCL Parkade permit and you forget your access card, you need to enter the East Gate Parkade as a visitor. Take a ticket from the ticket dispensers, located at the entrance to the parkade. Bring this ticket to the Parking Office (EA1016) to have it validated. This ticket will be used to exit the facility. If you are using the facility after hours, please use the help-phone to contact a customer service representative.
Lost or stolen permits must be reported to Parking & Transportation Services. Lost permits will be replaced at the full remaining permit value or as determined by Parking Services. Stolen permits will be replaced free of charge if a police report is provided.
Refunds can only be processed in-person at the Parking Office (EA1016). Please have your valid photo ID, parking permit placard, access card, and a form of payment card (credit or debit card). Refunds will not be given once the permits have reached the last month of validity. For further information, please contact the Parking Office.
No. Permits remain the property of Mount Royal. Parking permits may not be sold or transferred to another individual. This may result in suspension or cancellation of parking privileges. A permit displayed on a vehicle other than that for which it was issued will result in ticketing and/or towing of that vehicle. If you no longer need your permit, you can return it to the Parking Office for a refund of the remaining value (refunds will not be given once the permits reach the last month of validity).
Online Permit Sales
If you are a first-year student, you need to be registered in classes at Mount Royal before you are eligible for parking services. Once you are registered in classes, the registration information is passed to the Parking Office system overnight through an automated batch interface. This means that if you register for classes on a Monday, the Parking Office will not receive your information until Tuesday at the earliest.
You may need to adjust your internet browser security settings. To do this:
- Higlight and copy this web address: www3.eigendev.com
- Click on Tools > Internet Options
- Select the Security tab
- Select Trusted sites, and paste in the web address
Only 50 permits are sold through the Parking Office, and these generally sell out soon after 8:30 a.m.
1. What do I need to know about ticketing and towing?
Parking enforcement is conducted by Mount Royal’s Parking & Transportation Services and by the Calgary Parking Authority. City tickets will be issued if any Mount Royal parking regulations are contravened, regardless of a permit.
Purchase of a permit means that you will be responsible for your vehicle while it is parked on campus, will ensure the permit is appropriately displayed, the vehicle is legally parked, and that you are responsible to pay all traffic offense notices issued to your vehicle.
Not knowing the rules is not considered a reasonable excuse for having a traffic offence notice cancelled. Vehicles will be ticketed and/or towed for the following infractions:
- Failure to display a valid permit or dispenser ticket.
- Displaying an altered or copied parking permit or dispenser ticket.
- Displaying a permit that has been reported lost or stolen.
- Parking in Accessible or Carpool stalls without a proper placard.
- Parking in fire lanes, roadways, loading zones, or outside designated stalls.
- Having an expired plate registration as confirmed by the Calgary Parking Authority.
2.What do I do if I received a parking ticket?
1. You can pay your parking ticket. If you don’t pay for your parking ticket within 21 days, the higher penalty amount indicated on your parking ticket will apply. Payments are accepted at the Calgary Parking Authority main office, online, at city cashiers, and/or night depository.
2. You can request an Administrative Review to examine any errors related to your ticket. If we find an error, either in the applicability of the bylaw or in the way it was enforced, we won’t pursue the ticket any further. Applications for Administrative Reviews can be completed online or forms can be picked up from the Mount Royal Parking and Transportation Office (EA1016).
3. You can appeal your parking ticket in court. If you don’t pay your parking ticket, you will receive a violation ticket in the mail. At this point, you have the option to appeal your violation ticket through the Provincial Court Appeal process.If you require additional information regarding your parking tag, please visit Calgary Parking Authority website or contact Calgary Parking Authority office at 403-537-7100 during business hours, Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.