English Language Proficiency requirement
The primary language of instruction and communication at Mount Royal is English and it is essential that all students have an adequate knowledge in the areas of reading, writing, listening, and speaking in the English language in order for them to be successful in their studies. All applicants must demonstrate English Language Proficiency for the purpose of admission in one of the following ways if their primary or first language (meaning the main language learned and used as a child) is not English.
- Successful completion of the equivalent of two years of full-time study (minimum of three courses per semester excluding English as a Second Language courses) in an English language secondary or post-secondary institution or a combination of the two. Study must have been in an English speaking country* as recognized by Mount Royal and include the successful completion of English Language Arts 30-1 or 30-2 (or equivalent).
- Successful completion (with a grade of B- or better) of the highest level of the English for Academic Purposes program at Mount Royal’s Languages Institute.
- Presentation of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)** with an overall minimum score of 83 on the internet-based test (iBT) and a minimum score of 20 in each of the four testing sections. 1.800.468.6335 or ets.org/toefl
- Presentation of the International English Language Test (Academic IELTS)** with an overall minimum score of 6.5 (with a minimum score of 5.0 in each band). ielts.ca
- Presentation of the Canadian Academic Language Assessment (CAEL)** with an overall minimum score of 70 (with a minimum score of 50 in each band). cael.ca
- Presentation of the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB)** with an overall minimum score of 85 (must include the oral component with a minimum score of 3). lsa.umich.edu/eli/testing/melab
Please note that applicants must satisfy two separate and distinct English requirements for admission to Mount Royal:
- The English course required for admission to your intended program of study – English Language Arts 30 – 1 (or English Language Arts 30 – 2 if accepted by your program) AND
- This English Language Proficiency Requirement (if your first or primary language is not English)
*English Speaking Countries for the purpose of English Language Proficiency requirement:
|Australia||Ireland (Republic of Eire)||St. Kitts and Nevis|
|Bermuda||Malta||Trinidad and Tobago|
|Belize||Malawi||Turks and Caicos Islands|
|Cayman Islands||Montserrat||United Kingdom|
|Dominica||New Zealand||United States of America|
|England||Northern Ireland||Virgin Islands|
|Falkland Islands||Pacific Island||Wales|
|Fiji||Panama Canal Zone||Zimbabwe|
|Ghana||Ryukyu Islands|| |
**All test results must be “official” meaning that they must be sent directly from the issuing institution to Mount Royal University.