Microsoft Windows XP WPA setup
MR offers a secure wireless network that can be accessed by WPA or WPA2 Compliant Cards. Please follow the procedure listed below to enable WPA for your wireless adapter. If you have any problems please contact us or call 403.440.6000.
- Windows XP SP2 (Service Pack 2) or later, or Windows XP SP1 (Service Pack 1) with WPA patch
- You can download these by using the Windows Update tool or visiting Windows Update .
- A wireless card with drivers that support WPA and PEAP (Protected Extensible Authentication Protocol). Please see your manufacturer's website for information as well as the newest updates, drivers, and firmware regarding your wireless card.
- Important: Get updated drivers from your manufacturer.
Enabling WPA authentication and security
- Click your Start button at the bottom, and then click Run. Type services.msc and click OK.
- Scroll to the bottom of the list. Double click on the Wireless Zero Configuration service is set to Automatic and that it is started. Click X in upper right corner to close the window below.
- Click the Start button at the bottom, and then select RUN. Type in ncpa.cpl as shown below.
- Right click your wireless card and select PROPERTIES.
- The Window below will open up and you can select the tab named Wireless Networks.
- Click Add at the bottom. And enter the following information:
Network name (SSID): MRsecure
Network Authentication: WPA or WPA2 (note: WPA and WPA-PSK are not the same and selecting WPA-PSK will not allow the connection to operate properly)
Data Encryption: TKIP or AES (depends on Windows XP patch level)
- Select the Authentication tab. For EAP Type select I, then uncheck and turn off Authenticate as computer when computer information is available.
- Click the Properties button and click the Configure button at the bottom. Uncheck and turn off “automatically use my Windows login name and password “.
- Click OK buttons and close any Windows to exit the configuration. In a few seconds, the network card will contact the "MRsecure" network. Click in the yellow part of the bubble at the bottom right hand corner to login.
- Enter your MyMRU user name and password, NO DOMAIN. Click OK to continue.
- The wireless card will authenticate with the network and send a security certificate to your computer. Click IN the yellow part of the bubble at the bottom right hand corner and then click OK to accept.
You are now connected to the WPA enabled, MRsecure Network.