Information for MRU employees

Mount Royal University is continuing to monitor the potential and actual impacts of the seasonal flu in our community in conjunction with Alberta Health Services (AHS).

If you are ill and intend to stay home

  • Contact your supervisor/Chair to inform them of your absence
  • You will be asked if you are experiencing symptoms of influenza
  • If yes, you will be asked the first day your symptoms appeared
  • The information you provide is collected under the Alberta Post-Secondary Learning Act for the purpose of gathering statistical information related to Influenza and will be used to monitor trends across campus and to coordinate Mount Royal’s response.

if you have a fever stay home

H1N1 FAQs for employees

Do I require a medical note for absences related to illness leave?
Article 22 of the Support Staff Collective Agreement and Article 11.2 of the Faculty Collective Agreement regarding illness leave still apply. In some situations you may be told by Public Health or by your physician not to visit a physician’s office if you are suffering from influenza-like symptoms. During the pandemic period the University may not require a medical note in relation to this type of situation. However, the University will reserve the right to require medical documentation in some circumstances.

What if I am advised to stay off work because of concerns with H1N1 however I have no more casual leave available?
You should stay home. If this situation arises and you would like to discuss this further, please contact Human Resources as each situation is unique.

What should I do if a colleague/student has influenza-like illness?
If the individual’s symptoms are consistent with H1N1 or seasonal flu, advise them to follow the recommendations above. Assist that individual in making alternate arrangements so that academic and work-related responsibilities can be fulfilled.

Do I need to advise other employees or students of a possible H1N1 exposure in the classroom or workplace?
No. Advise only department administration, Human Resources and/or direct managers/supervisors in this situation. The need for wider notification will be assessed by Mount Royal in conjunction with Alberta Health Services. If you have been advised to stay at home, you should follow the normal Mount Royal University process for calling into your department. Your supervisor will ask you if you are experiencing flu-like symptoms and whether or not you have a fever for statistical reporting purposes.

What should I do if I have been in contact with someone with influenza like illness?
Unless you are displaying influenza-like symptoms or if you have been advised by your healthcare provider not to attend work, you are expected to be at work. As indicated by Alberta Health Services employees should only self isolate if they are experiencing influenza-like symptoms.

What if I don’t want to come to work for fear of exposure to H1N1?
An absence due to perceived fear of exposure is not covered under Mount Royal’s casual or general illness leave. You may choose to use other types of leave (eg. vacation, flex, personal days). MRU is continually monitoring the situation and decisions will be made to ensure that the workplace remains safe.

What if I am the primary care giver for an individual with H1N1 or influenza like symptoms and need to take care of them?
In the situation where there are no other options for dependent care for the individual with influenza like symptoms then it is reasonable for you to be given a leave. Some options for support staff may include family illness days, personal leave day, vacation, flex time, accrued time, overtime and leave of absence without pay. You should contact Human Resources to discuss your options. Options for faculty would need to be addressed within each unit.

What is Mount Royal University doing to prepare for a pandemic outbreak?
Mount Royal has been preparing to respond to a pandemic outbreak for several years. The Public Health Response Team is in place and will respond appropriately as issues arise. Infection prevention and control measures have been implemented including installation of hand sanitizing stations in key public areas, installation of signs for recommended hand washing in washrooms, and the launch of an education/awareness campaign.

Where can I get more information?
Please continue to monitor this website for the latest information on the H1N1 flu situation.

The following web resources also contain information related to the H1N1 virus:


The symptoms of Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 in Canada have been generally mild, but illness can be severe for some individuals. The symptoms are similar to the symptoms of regular human seasonal influenza infection and include:

  • Sudden onset of and new cough or change in existing cough, plus one or more of the following:
    • fever (> 38C) – most cases will have a fever
    • sore throat
    • joint pain
    • muscle aches
    • severe exhaustion
    • lack of appetite

Some people may have a runny nose, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea in addition to a cough and fever symptoms.

If you develop flu like symptoms

  • Stay home — do not come to work or class and avoid public places until you have recovered. Call Health Link Alberta for advice before visiting a physician’s office, medicentre or accessing an emergency room.
    • Health Link Alberta: Toll-free 1.866.408.LINK (5465)
    • Health Link Alberta: In Calgary, call 403.943.LINK (5465)
  • Practice self care including avoiding others, coughing into your sleeve, increased hand washing and rest.
  • Monitor your symptoms and seek medical attention if your symptoms are not improving by calling Health Link Alberta.

If you have been recently in contact with someone with the flu

  • Continue with your regular activity, unless you are displaying influenza-like symptoms or if you have been otherwise advised by your healthcare provider.
  • Monitor yourself and your family for symptoms of influenza illness
  • Practice self care at home and at work/school
  • If you develop flu-like symptoms — stay home until the symptoms have been resolved

Individuals can call Health Link Alberta at 403-943-LINK (5465) or visit www.healthlinkalberta.ca, 24 hours a day, seven days a week if they have questions or concerns.