Get Involved with Us!
Peer Health Educator
Are you interested in educating your classmates about health topics? Do you love to plan events, meet others, come up with creative ideas for marketing and practice healthy behaviours? If so, we invite you to volunteer as a peer health educator. You’ll learn more about important issues and you’ll develop teamwork and communication skills by conducting a variety of education programs. Gain self-confidence and valuable experience in leadership, responsibility, event management, marketing and relationship building as you work with the University community on wellness initiatives.
As a peer health educator, you will:
- Attend training seminars and monthly meetings.
- Participate in and assist with design and organization of campus programs.
- Design and distribute flyers, pamphlets and promotional materials.
- Educate your peers about topics and services in the Wellness Centre or Diversity and Human Rights.
- Present topics in a fun and engaging manner.
- Attend and organize special events and awareness weeks.
- Attend conferences and leadership webinars.
- Learn about health and diversity issues through events and displays created by the Peer Health and Peer Diversity program and presented by specially trained students called peer educators.
Peer health educators work to educate their fellow students and the University community about health related issues such as:
- Stress, depression, drug and alcohol abuse, sex and sexually transmitted infections (STIs), building healthy relationships, choosing a healthy lifestyle, eating disorders, and financial strategies.
Let us get involved with you!
The Healthy Campus Team is available to give presentations to MRU classes on a variety of student health topics including mental health. We can also present on health education, health promotion, and using research to inform health promotion practice. For these presentations we use our National College Health Assessment data. Our presentations can be tailored to a specific class and the length can be anywhere from 10 to 90 minutes. Please contact Angela at 403.440.6869 to find out more.