About Environmental Services
Mount Royal has partnered with Scot Young (Western) Ltd. to provide environmental services on campus. The Environmental Services team (formerly Custodial/Housekeeping) works diligently to maintain the cleanliness of the facility, coordinate event support and room configuration, conduct moves, and provide waste and recycling collection while overseeing external disposal services.
If you have an Environmental Services request, please call 403-440-6422 or email environmentalservices@mtroyal.
- Maintains the facility with the use of environmentally friendly green products in support of the Mount Royal LEED objectives while ensuring a clean and healthy campus
- Supports event requirements (e.g. additional washroom and area checks, provides and maintains sustainable collection bins for waste and recycling)
- Special cleaning and support service duties for emergencies
- Provides leadership and commitment to Mount Royal’s environmental sustainability programs
- Assists with major waste removal contracts and completes the collection and disposal of Landfill and recycling, including Mixed (Single Stream), Organic, Paper & Cardboard, Refundable, Metal, Electronic Waste, Fluorescent Bulb, as well as Battery recycling
The campus is cleaned on a scheduled rotational basis. Should situations arise for cleaning outside the regular schedule, or if you have any questions or concerns, please contact us directly at local 6422.
- Replaces florescent lights in all areas of the buildings
- Assists Mount Royal’s EH&S department with Hazardous Waste collection and storage
- Collects and ensures destruction of confidential documents through the Confidential Shredding program
- Collects and disposes of office Paper Recycling
- Monitors and adjusts classroom and study area capacities
- Assists with transportation of materials for departments
- Participates as a full partner in the coordination of indoor and outdoor events management, including logistical support in the creation of set up diagrams in compliance with fire codes, physical set ups and take downs, and the configuring of furnishings.
- Tracks inventory and schedules holds on furnishings that are in limited supply as these are distributed on a first come, first served basis. (e.g. cocktail tables, banquet tables, podiums, stanchions, rolling dividers, etc.).
- Please email your event logistic needs to environmentalservices@mtroyal.
ca after you receive your room booking confirmation from Scheduling.
After you receive confirmation of your room booking through the Scheduling Department, please email your event requirements to environmentalservices@mtroyal.
- Coordinates and carries out office personnel relocation and furniture reconfiguration moves through the Facilities Planning team via Frontline. The Custodial team also provides packing boxes and tape for interoffice moves.
If you require storage boxes for your filing or permanent storage, please order them through Grand & Toy.
As of May 2016, we are pleased to offer ORGANICS and MIXED (Single Stream) RECYCLING in addition to the Paper, and Refundable recycling previously offered. Please see Sustainable MRU for recycling locations on campus and other sustainability related material.
In January 2016, Waste Management conducted a campus wide waste audit. Our current diversion rate is 35%. Our strategy to reach 70% waste diversion by 2017 includes the implementation of new Organics and Mixed Recycling bins throughout campus. For more information on waste and environmental sustainability, view our Sustainability Report on Facilities Management Sustainability page.