|JOB TITLE:||ASSOCIATE VICE-PRESIDENT, FINANCIAL SERVICES|
|Date Posted:||November 09, 2012|
|Closing Date:||November 26, 2012|
Reporting to the Vice-President Administrative Services, the Associate Vice-President Financial Services is accountable for all aspects of the University’s financial planning, budgeting and reporting activities. The position is called upon to provide the Board, the Senior Executive team, Deans, Chairs and Directors with accurate and timely budget planning, financial reporting and strategic decision support information to ensure accurate and effective business decisions. The position provides oversight over the budget development process, strategic and business analysis, accounting operations, internal and external financial reporting, taxation and regulatory compliance, internal and external audit, financial policy and procedure development and compliance, and investment and treasury management. The incumbent constantly monitors the accounting standards environment to ensure all financial practices, processes and protocols are in compliance with the accounting standards for University’s.
In order to accomplish this complex and demanding role, the incumbent maintains a current in-depth knowledge of the financial accounting standards for University’s, a solid understanding of the University community and develops / maintains productive relationships with campus stakeholders, external and internal auditors, various Government Ministry officials and the Board of Governors through the Audit and Finance Committee.
Duties include but are not limited to:
• Works closely with the Vice-President Administrative Services and the Executive team to advise them on changes to accounting standards and legislative compliance and develops policies and procedures to ensure standards are adhered to.
• Provides strategic financial and business advice concerning the University’s financial position, risks and exposures and opportunities.
• Provides business and financial expertise to support strategic decision making including budgeting, planning and analysis of key business functions and institutional operations to support the business needs of the University, the Executive and the Board of Governors.
• Ensures financial systems throughout the University produce timely and accurate financial information, meeting legislative requirements and a robust internal control environment to mitigate risks and exposures.
• Manages and oversees the preparation of accurate and timely, tracking analyzing and reporting of financial transactions that support the operational and strategic needs of the University including the preparation of a rolling three year budget plan that aligns with the University’s three year Comprehensive Institutional Plan (CIP).
• Provide leadership in the preparation of the University’s annual Audited Financial Statements for presentation to the Audit and Finance Committee and Board of Governors.
• Coordinate and develop the University’s internal audit plan and program including providing oversight and direction on the annual audit plan development for approval by the Audit and Finance Committee and Board of Governors.
• Oversight and development of the University’s investment and treasury functions to ensure compliance with Board approved policies and procedures.
• A professional accounting designation (CMA, CGA, CA)
• Have a minimum of 10 – 12 years of senior accounting experience providing strategic financial and management guidance and advice.
• Must be a strategic collaborator, strong facilitator and mediator of operational issues with faculty’s and departments across campus.
• Ability to use the consultative process to develop solutions or strategies in an environment with a variety of needs and viewpoints.
• Excellent interpersonal skills; the ability to deal with a wide range of individuals tactfully and diplomatically.
• Strong understanding of governance principles.
• Ability to recognize the impact of decisions on staff members and administrators and the related effect on the work environment or University policies and procedures.
• Must be able to interact with members of the organization at all levels and be able to exercise sound judgment and tact when providing financial advice or guidance.
• Experience in providing financial and accounting advice in a large, public sector or institutional environment would be an asset.
|Salary:||Commensurate with experience|
|Closing Date:||November 26, 2012|
MOUNT ROYAL UNIVERSITY
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
4825 MOUNT ROYAL GATE SW
CALGARY, AB T3E 6K6
Submit a separate covering letter and resume for each position you are applying for, quoting appropriate competition number to the address noted above.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
If applying by email, please send your resume as an attachment, in either .doc, .docx or .pdf formats only
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Mount Royal University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to fostering diversity as a source of excellence, intellectual and cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome applications from those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, faculty and their scholarship including but not limited to Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, ethnic, national or socio-economic background, religion or age.