Management Career Opportunity
|JOB TITLE:||DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT|
|Department:||Office of University Advancement|
|Date Posted:||December 07, 2012|
|Closing Date:||December 31, 2012|
Mount Royal University has set its sights on a bold vision: to become Canada’s premier undergraduate university, creating exceptional learning experiences for a world of possibilities. As part of achieving the vision, Mount Royal is currently engaged in its $250 million ‘Changing the Face of Education’ campaign. The campaign is focused on a long-term fund development strategy to address Mount Royal’s institutional funding priorities. The Office of University Advancement now seeks a dynamic, results-oriented Director of Development, reporting to the Vice-President, University Advancement, to manage an integrated fund development team and lead the execution of capital and comprehensive fundraising campaigns.
The Director of Development will work closely with division colleagues, senior officers, The Mount Royal University (MRU) Foundation Board of Directors, faculty, students and the private sector in fundraising and community relations initiatives integral to Mount Royal’s future. The Director plays a key role in ensuring that former students, current and potential donors continue to be attracted to and strategically engaged with Mount Royal in support of the achievement of MRU’s strategic objectives.
The Director of Development will lead a diverse team of approximately 17 development and advancement staff, and is responsible for major gifts, annual and planned giving programs, stewardship and communication.
• Responsible for strategic planning for MRU Fund Development, and leads the creation of the overall fund development project-specific and capital campaigns and their implementation across the institution.
• Builds a strong functional team (recruit, hire, train, lead) of staff and volunteers and secures and aligns all appropriate resources to achieve the strategic objectives and priorities.
• Plays a key role in preparing for and attending donor meetings and ensures funding requests are appropriate and aligned to donor and MRU interests and objectives. Maintains and nurtures a strong professional network of donors, friends and supporters.
• Actively participates in the identification of potential funding opportunities and makes critical decisions on donor assessment potential and ensures proper preparation for major gift requests
• Creates a culture and practice of assessment, building tools, systems to track, evaluate and benchmark MRU progress toward strategic objectives. Develops and implements reporting mechanisms and frequencies such as annual revenue projection and targets by area, and reports regularly to impacted stakeholders.
• Prepares an overall annual Development/Advancement Report and presents to key stakeholders, including MRU Foundation Board of Directors.
• Keeps abreast of regional, national and international fundraising practices, and establishes MRU as an innovator and best practice fundraiser. Director will participate in post-secondary fundraising associations, advocacy/philanthropy organizations etc. (AUCC, CASE, etc.)
• Provides inspired leadership to the development team through the effective use of achievement planning, coaching and program review techniques
• Provide daily direction and leadership to a team of Development and advancement professionals.
• Participates in the development of the overall divisional strategic plan as part of the University Advancement Leadership Team.
• Responsible for the overall Development Team annual budget, ongoing financial management and reporting
• Understands and ensures the function's compliance with MRU policies, post-secondary legislation.
• Participates on various institutional or management committees (budget advisory, policy committees) as required from time to time.
• Post secondary degree in Business Administration, Commerce or related discipline
• Minimum 10 years experience in a senior fundraising capacity
• Proven Team Leadership and program management experience
• Demonstrated fundraising campaign success
• Ability to function effectively within a University environment
• Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
• Understands and accepts the nature of the role with non-traditional work hours (evening and
weekend events from time to time)
• Understands the applicability of trust law, the Registered Charities and Income Tax Act, Alberta Charitable Fundraising Regulation and Canada Revenue Agency Guidelines for charitable giving, to stewardship practices.
|Closing Date:||December 31, 2012|
MOUNT ROYAL UNIVERSITY
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
4825 MOUNT ROYAL GATE SW
CALGARY, AB T3E 6K6
Submit a separate covering letter and resume for each position you are applying for, quoting appropriate competition number to the address noted above.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
If applying by email, please send your resume as an attachment, in either .doc, .docx or .pdf formats only
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Mount Royal University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to fostering diversity as a source of excellence, intellectual and cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome applications from those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, faculty and their scholarship including but not limited to Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, ethnic, national or socio-economic background, religion or age.