What I Can Do!
University Initiatives that we can become involved with:
- C-Choices Carpooling - open to all employees and students
- C-Choices Parking Permit Buyback - commit to trying another mode of transportation for a year
- C-Choices Cycling and Walking - support for your efforts
- C-Choices Transit - information about bus routes and tax benefit
Continuing Education activities that I can participate in:
- kitchen recycling
- freecycle collections
- awareness activities
- Green Thumb lectures
- green office practices (print double sided. sort recycling form shredding, turn off computer at night,)
CE Green Team Past and Current Successes
- Green action rewards - Faculty members "caught" being environmentally responsible were awarded a green token to exchange for green gifts
- Default 2-sided printing - revised print settings for all Faculty computers.
- Gift basket raffles - funds raised purchased recycling bins, supplied prizes and sponsored a bench in MRU's Centennial Garden
- Garage sales - held each spring and fall in staff lounge - leftovers to Women in Need
- Freecycle Christmas - ornament and decoration exchange each December - jewellery and accessories added in 2010 - leftovers to Women in Need
- Book Exchange - second hand books available for free in staff lounge
- Recycling bins - accepting all City of Calgary "blue box" items - Green Team members maintain regularly.
- Business clothing collection box - to Women in Need
- Winter outerwear collection box - to Mustard Seed and Drop-in Centre
- Eyeglass collection box - to Lions Club for third world
- Cellphone recycling box - and other items with rechargeable batteries
- Candy Cane Challenge - which area within the Faculty could take the most actions to "green" its Christmas 2008 celebrations? Prize of $50 to charity of choice.
- Project Runway Green Edition - Earth Day celebration 2009 - Faculty teams had to make outfits using only recycled items. Prize of $50 to charity of choice.
- Green Thumb Series
- Healthy You Series - Healthy choices for home, family and yard - 3 lunchtime workshops in 2010-11 - open to all MRU employees.
- Family Fun Day
University Past and Current Successes
- Centre for Continuous Learning - LEED Gold Certification
- Journalism graduate Emma Gilchrist has created the Calgary Herald's Green Guide
- Ecotourism and Outdoor Leadership student Tyson LeRuyet successfully campaigned for greener printing by having the Library printers defaulted to print double-sided, with the side benefit of saving students money.