Teaching English as a World Language (TEWL)*
This course provides the foundational knowledge, skills, strategies, and tools that you need to teach English in a wide range of educational settings either at home or around the world. Offering 100 hours of online instruction, meaningful assignments, and a self-organized 20-hour practicum, this 120-hour course opens the door to your amazing career as an English language teacher!
- Earn an internationally recognized university certificate of completion**
- Study from the comfort of your own home at your own pace
- Learn about English as a system of communication
- Discover how culture affects teaching and learning
- Develop engaging ways to teach and assess language skills
- Design and deliver effective lesson plans
- Create a portfolio and start networking to find a teaching job
- Start the course on the first day of any month
- Full-Time: Complete the course in as little as 4 weeks (plus practicum)
- Part-Time: Take up to 12 months to complete the course
- Comprised of 6 self-paced 20-hour modules:
- Practicum (self-organized)
- One assignment per module (pass/fail)
- Grammar test (at least 80% required)
Recommended PrerequisitesTo support your success in the course, we recommend the following prerequisites:
- Previous experience or comfort with online, self-directed learning
- Previous experience teaching in a formal or informal environment
- Completion of a post-secondary degree, diploma, or certificate
- English Language Proficiency requirement of IELTS 6.5 or higher (if applicable)
Courses & Fees
|Subject Code: ZTED 10101||120 hours. Fee: $1000+GST|
|CRN 3044||Online||Apr. 1|
|CRN 5045||Online||May 1|
|CRN 5039||Online||Jun. 1|
|CRN 7008||Online||Jul. 1|
|CRN 7009||Online||Aug. 1|
Contact For more information about the course, contact us by email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 403-440-6885.
For help with registration, call 403-440-3833 or 1-877-287-8001 (toll free).
* Several acronyms are used to describe teaching English to non-native speakers of English. TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language), TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language), TEAL (Teaching English as an Additional Language), and TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) are the most widely used. TEWL (Teaching English as a World Language) is another acronym and means the same thing.
** You can work as an English language teacher in most countries around the world if you have a university degree and a 120-hour TEWL certificate that includes a 20-hour teaching practicum. You do not need a university degree to take this TEWL course.