Student Frequently Asked Questions
If you are unable to find the answer you are looking for here, try the Student Tutorials
- Do I have an instructor in an online course?
- Do I have tests? Assessment pieces?
- How are online courses/instructors evaluated?
- How do I get an extension for an online assignment?
- How often will my instructor reply to my e-mails? What kind of feedback will I receive?
- Will my qualifications be seen as equal to those of someone who has completed a face-to-face program?
- Is there a specific browser I should use to access my Blackboard course?
- How do I change my e-mail address in Blackboard?
- I’m having trouble uploading a document to my Blackboard course - what is the problem?
- Where will I find my final exam?
- My exam has frozen! Who should I call?
- Do I have access to my course when the term ends?
- I would like to register for another course. How do I register?
- How do I withdraw?
- Where can I get more information on grades?
All Mount Royal University Faculty of Continuing Education and Extension online classes have an instructor. In addition to impressive academic credentials, our faculty also hold high-level positions within the fields they teach. This enables them to share valuable, real-world experience which can be immediately applied to your career success. In an online course, on the first day of the course you instructor will initiate the communication on the announcement page of your Blackboard course.
All of Mount Royal's continuing education online courses have some type of assessment requirement. These can be submitted via the Assignment drop box or posted to the Discussion Board on Blackboard.
At the end of every Mount Royal University Faculty of Continuing Education and Extension online course, the student is asked to fill out a course and instructor evaluation. This is valuable feedback that we analyze so that our programs continue to evolve on a regular basis.
All extensions for assignments are requested through the course instructor.
All communication expectations are specified in the course outline. The timelines and feedback for instructors responding to assignments and marking will be devised ahead of time and listed in the course outline.
Yes. To ensure that Mount Royal University Faculty of Continuing Education and Extension online programs provide the skills and expertise that are in high demand, we develop our curriculum based on the current needs of on industry. We draw our faculty from among the leaders of that industry to provide the most valuable real-world education possible. Our online education is continually updated to reflect the latest proven concepts, methods and practices.
If you have questions or comments related to the course curriculum or instruction, please contact your course instructor, whose information and contact hours can be found under Contacts in your Blackboard course, as well as in the Course Outline found on the Information area of your Blackboard course.
For general inquiries that cannot be addressed by technical support or by your instructor, please see the Mount Royal University Faculty of Continuing Education and Extension website. Each program page within this site lists e-mail and phone number contact information for the specific program. Please note that Continuing Education's standard hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Mountain Standard Time).
If you can't find an answer on the Virtual Learning Centre website (be sure to check out Student Tutorials) you can receive support from the IT Service Desk or your program administrative staff. For technical support in accessing MyMRU contact the IT Service Desk at 403.440.6000 or toll-free at 1.888.708.5508, or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions regarding Blackboard, please contact the Program Assistant.
Blackboard is built to work with common browsers but it can have technical issues when browsers do not have the necessary plug-ins installed. We recommend that students use Google Chrome as a web browser. Free download at www.google.com/chrome/
You can not change your e-mail address at Mount Royal as we require our students to use their MRU e-mails for their classes. This prevents e-mail from being sent into spam folders or lost. Do not email your instructor from your personal accounts. If you have technical errors with MRU e-mail the IT Service Desk can help.
Be careful when naming your file. When uploading a document to Blackboard, the document’s filename must not have any special characters, spaces or extra dots within the filename.
Depending on your course, you may have an online final exam. If you do, you will find your final exam in the Blackboard course. Your instructor will post the exam and you will have a set amount of time to complete the exam, which must be taken in one sitting. Once you begin taking the exam do not hit the Back button and save each of your questions as you finish them.
If you have any technical difficulties while completing your final exam, please contact your program staff and instructor immediately.
In Continuing Education we leave Blackboard sites open for one additional semester after the advertised end date so that students can gather materials and grades. Your instructor will not continue to monitor the Blackboard site after the end date. For example, if your course ended in October it would remain open to you until April 30.
For any online course, you MUST use your MyMRU e-mail account. Your Blackboard courses will automatically use your MyMRU e-mail account by default. To access your MyMRU e-mail:
- Go to the MyMRU homepage (www.mymru.ca), login and click on the E-mail icon at the top right hand corner, directly below the site banner.
- For more information on e-mail for students see http://google.mtroyal.ca
- Final grades will be available on the web within 12 working days of the course completion date.
- Login to MyMRU homepage (www.mymru.ca).
- Click on the Student Resources tab.
- On the left hand side of the page, you will see a box with Student Online Services. Click on Student Records.
- Click on Final Grades or Unofficial Academic Transcript. You can view or print an unofficial transcript.
You can register online or get more information about how to register here.
Please visit the Mount Royal University Faculty of Continuing Education and Extension FAQs for more information.
Please visit the Continuing Education FAQs for all the answers to these questions.