The Chinese section has two components: Chinese language (Modern Standard Chinese, also known as Mandarin) and Chinese culture.
The language component includes courses designed for students with no previous knowledge of Mandarin. The objective of these courses is to provide students with a solid foundation in pronunciation and grammar as well as proficiency in the four language skills of speaking, reading, listening and writing.
Students with any prior experience in Chinese language (having lived in China, using Chinese as a spoken language at home, having taken Chinese courses in K-12 institutions or community Chinese schools, etc.) must consult the instructor (email@example.com) to be placed into the appropriate course.
The culture component features a course in Chinese Civilization. This course surveys Chinese beliefs and philosophy, family and society, science and technology, literature and art, in both historic and present-day contexts. The objective is to help students gain an insight into the perspectives, assumptions and principles that underlie various Chinese cultural traditions and develop an in-depth understanding why Chinese civilization has taken the course it has and how it became the world's most continuous civilization.
- Mandarin-English Dictionary & Thesaurus http://www.yellowbridge.com/chinese/chinese-dictionary.php
- Cambridge English to Chinese Dictionary: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english-chinese-simplified/
- Line Dictionary Chinese-English: http://ce.linedict.com/dict.html#/cnen/home
- Word Dictionary: https://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php#word
- Clavis Sinica: http://www.clavisinica.com/voices.html
Language Learning Apps:
- HSK Hero
- BBC Chinese : http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/chinese/guide/alphabet.shtml
- Learning Chinese Online: http://csulb.learningchineseonline.net/
- CCTV Learn Chinese: http://english.cntv.cn/learnchinese/
- Speak Chinese: http://www.china.org.cn/learning_chinese/index.htm
- Chinese Idioms: http://www.chiculture.net/0610/html/index.shtml
- Learn Chinese (Mandarin): http://app2brain.com/learn-languages/chinese/
- Confucius Institute Online Lessons: http://www.chinesecio.com/cms/en/fileshow?nid=45450
- Chinese in Alberta: http://www.chineseinalberta.ca/chineselanguage/english/languagetests/hsktest.aspx
Culture and Travel
- Travel China Guide : https://www.travelchinaguide.com/
- CCTV Documentary Channel on Chinese civilization : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6AhdoPL4yHumoi4rEZXVJg
- Chinese Government Scholarships : http://eae.alberta.ca/post-secondary/international/domestic/chinese/
HSK Chinese Proficiency Test
- HSK is an international standardized exam that tests and rates Chinese language proficiency. It assesses non-native Chinese speakers’ abilities in using the Chinese language in their daily, academic and professional lives. Students interested in taking this exam can find more details in the HSK website : http://english.hanban.org/node_8002.htm.
Sample exams can be found at : http://www.chinesetest.cn/godownload.do.
The test can be taken at HSK Test Centre in Calgary. Please refer to the following link for test dates and registration details : http://llc.ucalgary.ca/undergraduate/chinese/hsk
Work Opportunities in China
If you would like to study Chinese you can enrol in:
Miao Li, PhD
Dr. David Hyttenrauch
Chair, Department of Languages and Cultures
Administrative Assistant to the Chair and the Department