Connie Van der Byl
Office: EB 2024
PhD Strategy specializing in Energy Management and Sustainable Development, Haskayne School of Business, University of Calgary
MBA Haskayne School of Business, University of Calgary
BA Economics and Applied Studies (Honours), University of Waterloo
Dr. Van der Byl’s research interests focus on energy organizations and their strategic responses to environmental issues. She is currently researching and writing on the role of collaboration in achieving environmental performance, the evolution of entrepreneurial firms in sustainable industries, corporate strategic responses associated with hydraulic fracturing, and the challenges, both environmental and economic, of corporate reconfiguration.
Academic Director, Mount Royal University’s Institute for Environmental Sustainability
Corporate Social Responsibility
Environmental Management and Sustainable Development
RESEARCH AND SCHOLARLY WORK
Sample Publications and Conference Presentations
- Van der Byl, C.A. & Vredenburg, H. (under revision). Dominant logic, pace and negative transfer: Capability reconfiguration challenges for an incumbent firm responding to disruptive innovation in Canada’s oil sands. Journal of Management Studies, special issue Managing in the Age of Disruptions.
- Slawinski, N. & Van der Byl, C.A. (under review). Managing the coopetition paradox in alliance formation. Organization Science.
- Van der Byl, C.A. & Grogaard, B. (2018). Chapter 4: Risk management and adaptation in oil and gas commodity resource markets. In G. George & S. Schillebeeckx (Eds) Managing Natural Resources: Organizational Strategy, Behavior and Dynamics. Cheltenham, United Kingdom: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Van der Byl, C. A. & Slawinski, N. (2015). Embracing tensions in corporate sustainability: A review of research from win-wins and trade-offs to paradoxes and beyond. Organization & Environment, 28(1), 54-79.
- Van der Byl, C. A., & Vredenburg, H. (2015). The challenge of mission drift through growth in the hybrid organisation. International Journal of Environmental Technology and Management, 18(4), 309-329.
- Quinn, M.S., M.E. Tyler, E. Ajaero, J. Arvai, M. Carlson, I. Dunmade, S. Hill, J. McCallum, D. McMartin, D. Megson, G. O’Sullivan, R. Parks, D. Poulton, B. Stelfox, J. Stewart, C. Serralde Monreal, S. Tomblin, C. Van der Byl. (2015). Landscape Impacts of Hydraulic Fracturing Development and Operations on Surface Water and Watersheds. Prepared for the Canadian Water Network. Institute for Environmental Sustainability, Mount Royal University, Calgary, AB.
- Van der Byl, C. A. A. (2013). Routines, dominant logic and market dynamism: Reconfiguration challenges in Alberta's oil sands (Doctoral dissertation, University of Calgary).
- Bowen, F., Van der Byl, C., Dillabough, J., & Bertels, S. (2010, January). Lessons for Environmental Compliance From One Company. In Canadian Unconventional Resources and International Petroleum Conference. Society of Petroleum Engineers.
ENVIRONMENTAL COMPLIANCE AT SUNCOR ENERGY'S FIREBAG FACILITY, Stephanie Bertels, Connie Van der Byl, Frances Bowen. Product Number: 9B13M032
Publication Date: 24/5/2013 Length: 12 pages