Physical Education — University Transfer
Create a career for yourself that really shapes up. With people focusing on physical activity like never before, career opportunities in physical education are boundless. Take the first two years of your physical education or kinesiology degree at Mount Royal, taking advantage of small class sizes and accessible instructors.
Mount Royal Recreation facilities include a 14,000 square foot fitness centre with aerobics studios, triple gym, 200-metre indoor running track, climbing wall, squash courts, saltwater pool, the latest in fitness conditioning equipment and more.
News and Upcoming Events
New Student Advising Sessions
Book your session
Once you complete your degree your career path can go in numerous directions from being a coach to marketing new fitness techniques.
Your job title could be:
- Athletic therapist — with a professional designation from the Canadian Athletic Therapists Association, you will be able to work with professional teams, national teams, elite level athletics (hockey, football, rugby or lacrosse for example) and in sport medicine clinics; you might also work with patients who were injured in the workplace, because industrial injuries are similar to those which athletes sustain.
- Kinesiologist — help people with problems related to the musculoskeletal system. Use the science of physical moment to undertake assessment that help people improve performance or prevent, manage and rehabilitate injuries.
- Physical education teacher — your further education can lead to a career as a physical education teacher. Beyond instructing students on how to participate in sports, you can teach them about sport safety practices and personal health issues such as nutrition, sexuality and drug use.
- Sports psychology consultant — teach athletes how to have the edge by using mental techniques such as motivation, confidence, concentration, attitude or goals.
- Fitness and lifestyle expert — graduates from these programs often work one-on-one with clients who want to achieve their fitness and lifestyle goals from a physical and nutritional perspective. With advanced training, you will be able to work with special populations or at-risk populations such as those with cardiac problems, diabetes, and other chronic health issues or older adults with special physical needs.
Courses in the university transfer program qualify you for certification in:
- first aid
- some outdoor activities
This university transfer program offers equivalents to courses in the first and second years of the kinesiology degree program at the University of Calgary. Many Mount Royal University courses may also be transferable to undergraduate physical education or kinesiology programs at various institutions, including the University of Alberta and the University of Lethbridge.