International Opportunities

International Exchange at Mount Royal University

MRU Partner Institutions & Students of Partner Institutions

Greetings international students and Partners!
Have you been nominated by your home institution to study at Mount Royal?
If yes, this page is for you!
If not, and you are an international student looking for admission to MRU for a program
please visit MRU Admissions for International Applicants.

Visit our listing of  MRU Partnerships and CONAHEC Partnerships!

Exchange Deadlines

October 1 - exchange occurs in Winter (January - April)
March 1  - exchange occurs in Fall (September - December)

Exchange Application Required Documents

  • Completed MRU Incoming Exchange Application Form
  • One photocopy of valid passport
  • One official transcript (statement of grades) from home institution
  • One letter of recommendation from a faculty member at home institution
  • One copy of student’s English Language Proficiency - TOEFL (560) or IELTS (6.5)
  • One Letter of Intent prepared by the student in English

Please forward completed Application Package to:
International Education
Mount Royal University
4825 Mount Royal Gate SW
Calgary, AB, Canada, T3E 6K6
Attention: Inbound Exchange Coordinator

Important Information for students to consider when applying for MRU:

  • Live on campus in MRU Residence!
    International exchange students are recommended to apply for housing on-campus to the Student Residences. It is the student’s responsibility to apply for housing directly to Residence through their online application procedure. This must be done early as housing on-campus is very competitive and fills up quickly.

Students please visit MRU Residence for applying online

There is a $45 application fee for MRU Residence which is paid online. Please note the student does not need to have their MRU student ID# to APPLY for Residence. An MRU student ID# is required to make the $400 security deposit and Residence fee payment.

The cost of living in MRU Residence varies depending on the unit selected. (Rates 2014/2015)
This includes 4 month semester fee (rate varies depending on unit), online application fee ($45), and refundable security deposit ($400).

It is NOT recommended that international exchange students live off-campus.

  • Emergency Medical Insurance for International Students    $225 CDN
    All international exchange students will be registered in Guard Me Emergency Health Insurance policy. Guard Me is mandatory - no exceptions. The cost is $225/semester and payment is due upon arrival. Policy information please visit Guard Me.
  • International Exchange Participation Fee   $150 CDN
    All MRU international exchange participants are required to pay $150 participation fee. Payment is due upon arrival.
  • U-Pass   $125 CDN (effective Jan 1, 2015)
    The U-Pass is a Calgary Public Transit pass.  The U-Pass allows students unlimited travel on all public transit buses and C-trains in Calgary during the semester (4-months). Inbound exchange students are eligible to receive this pass.  
    Please note an adult bus pass is $96/month. This is a great deal! Payment is due upon arrival at the Parking & Transportation office EA1016.
  • Airport Pick-Up Service   $65 CDN (optional)
    Airport pick-up service is an option available for all international exchange students. The fee is $65 and payable before arrival by credit card.
  • Visas/Study Permits
    Please contact the Canadian Embassy or Consulate closest to you to confirm all information prior to arriving in Canada. Most documentation you will need should be arranged months before your departure.
    Canadian Citizen and Immigration
  • Study Permits - You will need a study permit if you are going to study in Canada for 6 months or longer (2 semesters).  If you are here for one semester only, you will NOT need a Study Permit.
  • Temporary Resident Visas - Details about Temporary Resident Visas – depending on the country you are from you may or may not need a VISA to come to Canada. If you do require a TRV you will need to apply, in your home country prior to departure, to the Canadian Embassy or Consulate nearest to you.

If you have any questions regarding the application process or the necessary documentation we require, please ask!  We will gladly help you in whatever way we can.
We look forward to welcoming international exchange students to MRU, to Calgary and to Canada!