Inbound Exchange Students (to MRU)
Program Information for Inbound Exchange Students (coming to MRU)
Mount Royal welcomes students from our 57 partners in 27 countries and CONAHEC partners from around the world to study at our state of the art Lincoln Park Campus, with breathtaking views of the Rocky Mountains. We are certain that our reputation for excellence in teaching and learning, as well as our multinational and multicultural diversity will enrich your Mount Royal experience and offer an unforgettable study abroad experience!
- March 1 (Study at MRU for the Fall semester from September - December)
- October 1 (Study at MRU for Winter semester from January - April)
Nomination process of student for Exchange Program at MRU
Bilateral Partners with MOU
- Please nominate the student first through the Conahec site
- Information for Canada - Chile Leadership Exchange Scholarship for 2017-2018
- Information for Canada - CARICOM Leadership Exchange Scholarship for 2017-2018
- Information for Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program (ELAP) for 2017-2018
- Visit your study abroad office at your home University and find out how to apply to your home University study abroad program
- Your home University will nominate you for exchange to MRU through our nomination process (see Nominate a student above)
- MRU Exchange Programs coordinator will confirm the nomination with the Partner and send the student the formal application package with details via email
- All required and supplementing documents are due by August 1 for Fall semester and December 1 for Winter semester including: English Proficiency, Letter of Recommendation, Exchange Application completed, and current transcripts received all via scan and sent via email - if documents are not received on time the student can defer their exchange to the following semester.
Information for Inbound Exchange Students planning to attend MRU
- We highly recommend all exchange students to live on campus because as an exchange student will be better able to build a social network and become involved very easily into the MRU student community.
- The convenience of living on campus at MRU especially if you are only here for 1 or 2 semesters is invaluable.
- We do not recommend exchange students live off campus unless they are living with family or friends that are established in Calgary
- When to apply to live in Residence as an exchange student? After you receive your Letter of Acceptance with your MRU ID#
- Check out MRU Residence
- NEW for Fall 2017 - Early Arrival Option to Residence at MRU - Exchange Program students have the option to arrive up to two weeks early to MRU Residences (after August 21, 2017). The cost is approximately $30/night in addition to the Residence Fees.
Flights & Getting to MRU
- You can purchase your flight to Calgary after you have
- Letter of Acceptance to MRU and
- Required entry documents to Canada such as: passport; Visa; Study Permit; eTA
As of August 2015 - we no longer offer airport pick up service to MRU - sorry for any inconvenience, however taxi service from the airport YYC is very reliable
- Taxi service in Calgary from the airport is fantastic, easy to use, readily available, and there is always someone there to assist you in getting a taxi. The cost to MRU from the Calgary airport is approximately $55-60
- The coverage dates are based on semester dates and arrival & departure information. Dates can easily be adjusted and extended as required.
- Students can have coverage in other countries they plan to visit while in Canada on their exchange program such as the USA
- The cost is approximately $225/semester
- U-Pass (2017) $145
- To obtain the U-Pass as an exchange student you will need your MRU Campus ID card and your Letter of Acceptance detailing that you are at MRU on an Exchange
- You will pick up your U-Pass after your arrival to Calgary within the first days of the semester from Parking & Transportation located in EA 1016
Please visit the Canadian consulate or embassy near you for the most up-to-date information.
About Citizenship and Immigration Canada CIC
Do you need an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization (new as of March 15, 2016)
Do you need a visa to enter Canada?
Do you need a study permit to study in Canada?
Do you need to change your status and extend your stay in Canada as a student?
Do you need to change your status and extend your stay in Canada as a visitor?
Please also consider any country to transit - change flights - land - transfer - layover - and ensure that you have the appropriate documents for those countries as well. For example: United States (USA Visas)
- Fees will vary and should be expected for all travel and entry documents.
|March 1||Deadline to nominate a student for inbound Exchange Fall|
|April 10|| |
Course registration for Fall semester opens for new students (exchange students)
Course registration can be ongoing during spring and summer
August 21 - September 2
Residence Fees due for Fall semester
All other Fees due for Fall semester
Early Arrival option for Exchange Program students to move into Residence. Extra fees apply approximately $30/night. Arrangements must be made in advance of arrival directly with Resi
|September 3||Move Into Residence - 9 am - 4:30 pm|
|September 4||Labour Day - Holiday MRU Closed|
|September 5 & 6||Exchange Student Orientation (fees may apply)|
First day of classes - CREDIT
Last day to adjust registration (add/drop courses) & all Fees due
September 23 & 24
|Overnight Rocky Mountain Trip (optional; $275 cost)|
Deadline to apply for inbound Exchange Program Winter 2018
|October 2||Winter 2018 Registration Access Dates posted - check MyMRU|
Thanksgiving Day - holiday - MRU closed
Reading Break - no classes
|October 18||Final Exam schedule is posted|
|October 29||Course Registration opens for new exchange students Winter 2018|
|November 9 & 10||Reading Days - no classes for students|
|November 13||Remembrance Day - holiday - no classes|
|November 17||Last day to withdraw from a course - still receive a W grade on your transcript; does not effect your GPA (exchange students)|
|December 1|| |
All outstanding Admission documents for Exchange Program due for Winter 2018
Registration Winter 2018 - last day to add name to waiting list for courses
Residence Fees due for Winter 2018
Last day of credit classes Fall 2017
Exchange Program Finale Event Fall 2017
December 13 - 23
Before you go....
Final Exam period for Fall 2017 credit
Please ensure you indicate on your request form to "hold for final grades"
|December 23||Exchange students only - check out of Residence by 11am|
|December 25 - January 1||MRU closed for Christmas and New Year's closure|
|Mandatory Fees |
|Other fees to consider |
- As an inbound exchange student you have full access to MRU Recreation.
- There is a large variety of activities available to keep you active and healthy during your exchange at MRU! We are certain you will enjoy the use of this facility!
- To access MRU Recreation you will need your MRU Campus Card (ID card) which you will get once your arrive at MRU
- Check out MRU Recreation
Academic Advising Services - Academic advisors are available to help with course selection, program planning, and educational goal setting.
Office of Student Success - The Office of Student Success helps students learn what is available on campus to support them, and help them navigate these resources. They work closely with staff and faculty to better understand students and how to help them be successful.
Student Counselling Services - Student counsellors are available to assist you with identifying and achieving your realistic academic, career, educational and personal goals. Counsellors provide crisis intervention, personal, career, and educational counselling, and a variety of workshops.
Student Learning Services - Student Learning Services can help you to understand your coursework better, develop stronger studying and writing skills, and connect with experienced professionals in your field.
- As an exchange student if you select to have insurance through us you would have free access to the doctors and nurses (Health Services) here on campus plus we have a pharmacy on campus in Wyckham House called Wyckham Pharmacy. Direct billing for prescriptions is available with MRU insurance policy.
- Also available for exchange students is student counseling, chiropractic care, physiotherapy, athletic therapy, massage therapy, acupuncture, mental health resources and support (fees may apply)
- To access Health Services you will need your MRU Campus Card (ID card) and your insurance policy card through MRU
- Please note that if you have insurance outside of MRU (from your home country) you will have to pay up front for medical services and apply for a reimbursement through your insurance company
- Check out MRU Wellness services
- Fall 2014 inbound exchange student videos about Exchange at MRU
- Inbound Exchange Student Story on Studying Social Work in Canada