2016 Summer English Program - Language and Culture
July 5 - 29 and August 3 - 23
and challenge yourself in your choice of study modules.
Increase your knowledge of global culture as you learn alongside students from other countries.
* REGISTER NOW FOR SUMMER 2016
Summer English Program:
- Classes are held Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Explore a different theme each week.
- Events or field trips are planned for some afternoons.
- Note: This program is not suitable for complete beginners.
- You should be 18 years or older to take this program.
- Classes are organized according to speaking ability.
- In the Core program, you will focus on improving your fluency and accuracy in a variety of speaking tasks.
- Increase your knowledge of global culture as you learn alongside students from other countries.
- Each week you will choose an additional aspect of language to work on (reading, listening, speaking, writing, grammar, vocabulary or pronunciation).
- Choices can include film study, literature or current events, business skills and culture, academic preparation, Canadian culture, and many others.
- Join afternoon field trips to popular local tourist attractions.
- Complete extra optional assignments to earn a certificate with distinction.
- Entry fees and transportation are included in the program tuition fee.
- Welcome pancake breakfast
- Orientation session including campus tour and MRU identification card
- All study materials (handouts and online resources)
- Transportation & entrance fees for class field trips
- One month Calgary transit pass
- Use of the MRU Library resources and wireless computer access on campus
- Emergency Health Insurance (see benefit summary)
- Certificate at the end of the course (participation or distinction)
- Small class size - maximum 16 students
- For a small fee you can also have access to world-class recreation facilities
Optional Part-time Courses:
- Focus on refining your English language skills for professional purposes.
- Practice your speaking and listening while enhancing your cultural awareness in workplace contexts, such as meetings and presentations.
- Classes offered Tuesday & Thursday afternoons
- 12 hours of instruction
- Cost: $200
- Choose CRN 7041 (July) or CRN 7046 (August)
- Take this course to help you improve your score on the IELTS exam or improve your academic English skills.
- Receive 10 hours of instruction plus 30 days access to the online Cambridge IELTS tutorial.
- Classes will be held Tuesday & Thursday afternoons, 2 - 4 p.m.
- 10 hours of instruction
- Cost: $180
- July 12-26: register in CRN 7018
- Aug. 4-18: register in CRN 7031
TOEFL iBT ® Highlights Course
- You will receive 15 hours of instruction to help you improve your score on the TOEFL iBT ® exam
- Classes will be held Tuesday & Thursday afternoons, between the hours of 2 - 5 p.m.
- 15 hours of instruction
- Cost: $150
- July 7-26: register in CRN 7029
- Aug. 4-18: register in CRN 7030
- We provide a high level of quality and professionalism in our customized language training program.
- Work on improving in a specific area, such as pronunciation, academic writing or standardized examination preparation.
- Available in a variety of world languages, including English.
- Designed for visiting international teachers and professors, these interactive 16 hours of classroom instruction are designed to enhance your language skills for teaching in English. By engaging your peers in relationship builders, learning tasks and mini lessons, you gain confidence in your ability to interact effectively and to present information and ideas clearly in a classroom context.
- View course schedule and registration details.
- Contact us for more information.
Register now for Optional Part-time courses.
All classes are held at Mount Royal University
Lincoln Park Campus
4825 Mount Royal Gate SW
Calgary, Alberta, Canada