As a graduate of this program, you will gain knowledge and skills directly related to the study of geology. In addition, you will be able to:
- understand scientific thought and the scientific method
- critically evaluate and assess scientific studies
- work in a modern geological science lab
- collect, interpret and evaluate data and observations
- read, understand and present information in a variety of formats
- be creative and innovative in exploring possible solutions
- contribute to a team in scientific settings
A hands-on approach
You won't just be reading textbooks in this program. You will get hands-on experience with guided inquiry labs and field schools, where you’ll see first-hand how science really works.
Mount Royal’s unique rock garden is used as an outdoor lab. The 140,000 tonnes of rocks include samples of sandstone, limestone, petrified trees and dinosaur footprints. Specimens range in age from 75 million years to older than one billion years.
Faculty members are involved in research, which offers students the opportunity to be involved as well. It’s yet another way to get some real-world experience, a great learning tool that will increase your marketability once you graduate.