Hindustani Raga Music
Hindustani music is most commonly associated with northern India. Hindustani music is based on the Raga system which is a melodic scale, consisting of notes from the basic seven notes indicative of Indian Classical music.
Hindustani Vocal Music Courses
This course will provide a strong foundation of different ragas in the system of Hindustani classical music. Students will learn how to use melody and rhythm to improvise musical phrases, how to match pitch with Tanpura, Raga characteristics & Lakshan Geet, Beat & fractioning of beats etc. Individual support will be provided based on the student's ability.
Classes will focus on:
- Musical Notes (Swara) Patterns
- Rhythm (Taala) Patterns
- Sargams on different rhythms
- Basic sargam of different ragas
- Breathing and sitting
- Octave jump practice
- Concept of ragas including characteristics of a raga (ascending descending, vadi swara, samavadi swara, pakar etc.) and the association of time, moods, sentiments, and seasons conveyed by each raga.
- Chota Khayal (Yaaman, Bhupali, Khamaj, Kedar, Behag, Hamsadhwani, Madhuvanti, Kirwani, Jayjayanti, Shree, Saraswati, Komal Rishav Asavari, Bhairavi, Durga, Sudhya Sarang, etc.) - based on student's ability.
- Ghazal (raga based)
- Devotional song (raga based)
- Modern song (raga based)
Instructor: Rita Karmakar
|Hindustani Vocal Music||30354||Wednesday||Feb. 06 - Mar. 27, 2019||7 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.||$155|