Cowtown Opera Summer Academy
Application period NOW CLOSED for COSA 2017.
Please check back with us late 2017 or early January 2018 to apply for COSA 2018.
Cowtown Summer Opera Academy
|Thurs.- Sat.||Aug. 10 - 19, 2017||8 a.m. - 8 p.m.||$950 + $40 application fee*|
Cowtown Summer Opera Academy
Thurs. - Sat.
Aug. 10 - 18, 2017
Times of seminars vary
An international vision for aspiring singers
The Cowtown Opera Summer Academy offers intensive short-term studies for singers who wish to hone their skills in the areas of opera, art song, stagecraft and vocal health. Our inspirational faculty of professionals with international experience will assist you with all aspects of vocal and artistic development. It is geared towards singers who are entering into, currently working on, or finished their post-secondary education in vocal studies.
The program includes:
Yoga for the Voice & Breath and Body Work Private and Group Sessions
Individual Voice Lessons & Coachings
Private Aria Staging Sessions
Private monologue coachings
Masterclasses in French Melodie, German Lieder, Opera Arias and more
Classes on Vocal Health, Career Development, Opera History and Aesthetics, Poetry & Lyric Diction
Art Song Recital and Staged Opera Scene Showcase
By the end of the 10 days you will have increased confidence in your artistry and performance skills, as well as a better understanding of vocal health, stage presence, anatomy and pedagogy.
A performance opportunity in the closing concert will be offered to every student.
COSA also offers a wonderful opportunity for auditors to participate. Ideal auditors are musicians, actors, young singers, or anyone just looking for a taste of a singer's world! Auditors tuition includes attendance at the following classes & seminars:
Yoga and Breath Therapy for the Voice (5)
Seminars on Vocal Health, Career Development (2), Opera History and Aesthetics, and The Wilson Method for Voice: Singing with Ease, Power & Support
Please note that auditors are not required to audition for COSA, however they must still submit a completed application form (including all fields that apply) by the February 17th deadline.
2017 Faculty (subject to change)
- Mark Bellamy: Opera Scenes Director
- Stephan Bonfield: Opera History and Aesthetics
- Aaron Coates: Stage Craft / Monologue
- Cheryl Emery: Vocal Coach / Performance Pianist
- Richard Epp: Vocal Coach / Performance Pianist
- Thomas Glenn: Opera Masterclass
- Heather Henderson-Hryhoriw: Scene Consultant
- Shannon Hiebert: Vocal Coach / Performance Pianist
- Laura Hynes: French Melodie Masterclass
- Joel Ivany - Aria Staging Director
- Maxwell Mawji: Photographer
- Elizabeth McDonald: Voice / Opera Masterclass
- Heather Meyers: German Lieder Masterclass / Poetry & Lyric Diction
- Michelle Minke: Career Development
- Evan Mounce: Collaborative Pianist
- Mimi Park: Lesson Pianist
- J Patrick Raftery: Voice / Opera Masterclass
- Ainsley Soutiere: Education Coordinator
- Sara Staples: Artistic Director / Career Development
- Elizabeth Turnbull: Vocal Health / Opera Masterclass / Art Song Masterclass
- David Wilson: Yoga and Breath Therapy for the Voice / Vocal Lessons for Breath Support and Vocal Freedom / The Wilson Method for Voice: Singing with Ease, Power & Support
Apply now. Deadline for applications, February 17, 2017.
Please note: Your application to attend Cowtown Opera Summer Academy is not a registration or notice of acceptance — all applicants must audition prior to acceptance.
One aria selection;
One art song selection;
(any two languages must be represented)
There is no audition process for auditors.
Completed application must be received by February 17th 2017
Audition in person on March 4 & 5, 2017 at MRU or send an electronic video submission of your audition as an e-mail attachment or YouTube link to COSA@CowtownOpera.com . Deadline for electronic submissions is Friday, March 3, 2017.
You will not be able to register for the program until you have been notified of your acceptance. Notification of acceptance will be e-mailed by Friday, March 24th, 2017.
Your application should include:
Application form completed in full;
Resumé listing musical education and achievements;
Completed Financial Aid form, if applicable;
Non-refundable application fee of $40, VISA or Mastercard only. Cheques may be mailed, or debit may be used in person.
Please note that the Cowtown Opera Summer Academy is an Intensive and students are expected to attend the entire length and all aspects of the course. We cannot accept applications from persons with scheduled conflicts during the outlined dates.
Call 403.440.6821 or download and return the 2017 COSA application form
Upon confirmation of your acceptance to the program, you will be able to register online, by phone (403.440.6821) or in person. Full tuition payment must be received by April 7, 2017.
Tuition bursaries may be available to students in financial need. Scholarship application form.
Stay on campus for the week. Residence fees are very reasonable, and the facilities are a five minute walk from classes and performance halls. Contact Residence Services at 403.440.6275 for more information, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org