Speak Up Make Your Point!
NEW in 2017!
Take command of your voice and communicate with confidence and style! Speak Up Your Point inspires you to explore the power and range of your voice and gives you the tools to shape your ideas into vivid and effective presentations.
Hesitant and confident speakers alike will thrive in the safe, fun learning environment, and enjoy solo and collaborative learning and presentation opportunities.
Your ideas will be front and centre as you learn to outline and structure arguments, shape and embellish narratives, harnessing creativity and logic to create original stories and speeches that will captivate and engage your audience.
- learn to develop speech topics and organize ideas using outline format
- employ description, elaboration and commentary in original narrative
- use simple narrative structure to shape presentations
- develop a powerful and expressive voice
- speak with meaning, confidence and purpose
- explore tools to control nervousness and connect with your audience
- analyze and deliver examples of great oratory and literature
- appreciate the power of language to impact a listener and enrich communication
- develop active listening and conversation skills.
Whether you attend for one or multiple semesters, you will find the lessons rewarding and come away with a tool kit that will serve you in everyday life, academic situations, and even when seeking future employment.
This program is designed for:
- Young people who wish to improve their speech communication skills
- Students with no previous experience in speech and drama
- Students that have participated in foundational Speech Arts and Drama group-class programs such as Act Up Speak Out
There is no pre-requisite for this class. Speak Up Make Your Point is appropriate for students with no previous experience in the speech and drama program or those wishing to build on an established foundation of skills. It is a good follow up to the Act Up Speak Out program.
Students enter the classes based on age, regardless of previous experience. This is not a leveled course: students may choose to take one semester, enroll continuously over a period of a year or two, or enroll with gaps over multiple semesters.
Classes are offered for students ages 10 -11, and 12 - 13 years.
New class added for Fall 2017!
|Speak Up Make Your Point (10-11 yrs)||2053||Jennifer||Saturday||Feb. 3 - May 12, 2018||12:15 - 1:15 p.m.||EA1067||$270|
|Speak Up Make Your Point (10-11 yrs)||2054||Cheryl||Saturday||Feb. 3 - May 12, 2018||12:30 - 1:30 p.m.||EA1064||$270|
|Speak Up Make Your Point (12-13 yrs)||2055||Camilla||Thursday||Feb. 1 - May 9, 2018||7:30 - 8:30 p.m.||EA1070||$270|
Schedule subject to change.
For information about our group classes, including answers to frequently asked questions, please visit our Navigating the Speech Arts Program page.
New student and on-line registration begins November 14, 2018.
*Heavy call volumes may be experienced when the registration period first opens.
Room numbers designated with the "EA" prefix are located in the Faculty of Arts building, on the east side of the main campus and across the road from the Conservatory building, the Taylor Centre for the Performing Arts.