Minor in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL)
The Minor in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) is collaboratively offered through the Department of English, Languages, and Cultures and the Department of Education.
Students would consider this minor if:
- they want to understand how language development interacts with other types of cognitive development.
- they would like to know the differences in learning styles between children and adults.
- they are interested in cultural diversities in the classroom.
- they want to learn about issues concerning immigrant children in Canadian schools
Students completing a Minor in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) are not certified to teach in Alberta.
Students planning to complete a Minor in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) should check with an Advisor early in their studies so that they can ensure that they meet all requirements before graduation. Most courses at the 3000 and 4000 level have prerequisites, so students should consider those prerequisites when selecting their 1000 and 2000 level courses.
- EDUC 2271 - The Teacher: Introduction to TESL
- LING 1111 - The Nature of Language I
- LING 2221 - Modern English Grammar
- EDUC 3372 – The Learner: Early Literacy TESL
- EDUC 4471 – The Community: ESL in Mainstream
- EDUC 2371 – The Learner: Language Development and Literacy
- LING 1113 – The Nature of Language II
Three additional courses from the following list:
- EDUC 2371 - The Learner: Language Development and Literacy*
- EDUC 3372 - The Learner: Early Literacy TESL*
- EDUC 4471 - The Community: ESL in Mainstream*
- ENGL 3304 - Advanced Writing: Theory, Pedagogy, Practice
- LING 1113 - The Nature of Language II*
- LING 2207 - Second Language Acquisition
- LING 2231 - First Language Acquisition
- LING 3371 - Introduction to Psycholinguistics
- A university credit course in an additional language
- Maximum 3 courses at 1000 level. Minimum 2 courses at the 3000 and/or 4000 level.
*This course can be used as an option if it was not taken as a required course (listed above) in this minor.