Conduct Your Research

Managing Research Finance


More information on:

You’ve been notified that your grant is successful, and you are ready to get started. Congratulations! All funds that are designated for the purpose of research must be administered through the Office of Research, Scholarship and Community Engagement (ORSCE). We are here to help you to navigate all of the ethical and administrative processes that come with performing a research project.

The Office of Research, Scholarship, and Community Engagement is responsible for:

  • Administering research funds and grants
  • Research-related contracts
  • Financial reporting
  • Revenue collection
  • Providing support in managing account activity and balances
  • Ensuring compliance with funding agency policies

All Mount Royal University researchers are responsible for the overall financial management of their research projects. These responsibilities are detailed in the MRU Fiscal Responsibility in the Use of Research Funds policy document (POL 585-3).

Researchers are responsible for:

  • Submitting all required documents in a timely manner
  • Complying with all Mount Royal University policies and procedures
  • Attending an initial meeting with our Research Finance Analyst

Getting StartedBefore you begin spending, please ensure that you:

Opening a research accountUpon receiving a Notice of Award or an agreement or contract from a funding agency, you will require the following to open a research account:

  • The Notice of Award from the funding source, applicable to grants.
  • The research agreement, signed by an authorized person in ORSCE, if applicable, and other related correspondence.
  • The sponsor's written terms and conditions.
  • Any required certificates, i.e. for human subjects.

A research account needs to be set up for each individual project. Once a research account has been set up, you will be notified by email with the details required to be able to access your funding. From this point onward, most of the research administration activities will involve financial and progress reporting.

We are here to helpFor questions and assistance with fund management, please contact our Research Finance Analyst, Suman Panta, at 403.440.8639 or