Conduct Your Research

Travelling for research

Pre-travel authorizationYou must complete a Pre-Travel Authorization before you leave campus on any research related travel. Research related travel expenses that are submitted without a previously approved Pre-Travel Authorization will not be processed. For information on this process, please contact ORSCE Research Finance Analyst Suman Panta at (403) 440-8639 or

  1. Access the Pre-Travel Authorization form on MyMRU
    1. Sign in to MyMRU
    2. Click on the Financial Matters link that is located on the upper blue menu bar
    3. Under the main heading Supply Chain Services, see the third main bullet point Travel Management & Expenses, and click on its sub-bullet Pre-travel Authorization link
  2. Select "Research" as the purpose for travel
  3. Select "Funds managed by Research Services"
  4. Select "Low" or "Some risk" depending on the risk levels involved
  5. Enter your dean's name as the Signing Authority
  6. Include your Chair's name in the FYI section
  7. If you are traveling within the US and Canada without students, an Off Campus Activity form is not required
  8. If you are traveling within the US and Canada with students, an Off Campus Activity form is required
  9. If you are traveling outside of the US and Canada with or without students, an Off Campus Activity form is required
  10. If an Off Campus Activity form is required, obtain all necessary signatures and then scan the completed form. Embed the complete Off Campus Activity form in the Pre-Travel Authorization form.
  11. If the travel is high risk (see page six of the Off Campus Activity form), then Curtis Desiatnyk from Risk Management, whom may be contacted at  403.440.6196, must review and sign the form prior to having your dean and chair review and sign it
  12. Include Security Services' contact information, as well as that of your dean and others in the "contacts" section of the form
  13. Click "submit" and the authorization form will then be routed to Michael Quinn, Associate Vice-President - Research, Scholarship and Community Engagement, for final approval.

When ORSCE receives your pre-travel authorization request, we will check that funds are available in your research account to cover the projected expenses and that the travel is relevant to the purposes for which funds were awarded.

Student Research Assistants do not have access to Pre-Travel Authorization. If a Student Research Assistant is Travelling on their own, the PI/Supervisor needs to fill out a Pre-Travel Authorization on the student's behalf.

Expense claims You must submit an individual travel expense claim for each trip you take. If you have taken two trips in close succession, they must go onto separate expense claims. Expense claims for travel should be submitted no later than 10 days after your return (as stated on your Pre-Travel Authorization).

For information on this process, please contact ORSCE Research Finance Analyst Suman Panta at (403) 440-8639 or

The travel expense claim must include the following:

  • Purpose of trip
  • How it relates to the grant
  • Dates and destinations (person or location visited)
  • Official supporting documentation (e.g. prospectus or program indicating the dates of conferences and workshops)
  • Details of daily claims for expenditures relating to those visits
  • Details of any vehicle used
  • Original receipts, such as hotel invoices and car rental agreements
  • Original air travel ticket receipts and boarding passes (if available)
  • Any other evidence that supports the travel expense claim 

Risk ManagementThe Pre-Travel Authorization contains a ‘Risk Type Screen’. The ‘Risk Type Screen’ contains brief definition of low risk and some risk activity and also has a link to take you to the Off Campus Safety Policy (POL 1510) which defines in more detail the difference between low and some risk activities. 

Low risk activities

Any activity that entails hazards no greater than those encountered by the participants in their normal onsite campus-based activities is low risk. Minimal planning and preparation are required for such activities.

Advanced briefing of participants in low-risk activities is required. Consultation with Risk Services is at the discretion of the Activity Coordinator/Principal Investigator. Completion of a standard pre-travel authorization form is required for low risk travel.

Higher risk activities 

Higher risk activities include any activity that has the potential to expose participants to hazards that are greater than those likely to be encountered in their normal onsite, campus-based activities. If the proposed travel involves higher risk activities, then Safety Planning Record – Form One needs to be completed.

High risk activities

High risk activities are activities that have the potential to expose participants to hazards that are significantly greater than those likely to be encountered in their normal onsite, campus-based activities.

High risk activities requiring risk services review include:

  • International travel involving students
  • Travel to remote locations
  • Trips involving eight (8) or more hours of travel in one day
  • Any activities involving Minors

For travel involving high risk activities, Safety Planning Record – Form One must be completed by the Principal Investigator/Activity Coordinator, reviewed by Risk Services, and approved by the appropriate authority.


UNIGLOBE One Travel is Mount Royal University’s preferred travel management company. MRU employees are recommended and encouraged to use Uniglobe One Travel where possible for all business related travel in order to:

  • Facilitate adherence to MRU Travel and Expense Policies and Procedures
  • Reduce the risk to MRU and its travellers through employee tracking and emergency assistance
  • Simplify and standardize booking, billing and expense claim processes
  • Provide tools that make life easier for employees

Setting up a profile with Uniglobe will also allow you to access the Concur Online Booking Tool. This tool can be invaluable to budget planning by allowing you to make comparisons between travel options by providing pricing information on a full range of airlines, hotels and vehicle rental agencies.

The pre-travel authorization procedure must still be completed before booking travel with Uniglobe.

A guide to setting up a profile with Uniglobe can be found by logging into myMRU and navigating to the Travel Management section found on the Financial Matters tab.

Travel Advances The Finance Department requires at least 10 working days to issue a travel advance. If you need a travel advance, please indicate this on your Pre-Travel Authorization application. The travel advance request will be reviewed and then be approved by the Associate Vice-President Research, Scholarship, and Community Engagement.

Travel advances will not be issued for airfare or hotel accommodations.

We are here to help

For questions and assistance with travel funding, please contact our Research Finance Analyst, Suman Panta, at 403.440.8639 or