LinkedIn tips for alumni
Joining the Mount Royal University Alumni LinkedIn Group is a great way to connect with the Mount Royal community and other alumni while growing your professional network. Discussion posts can be about professional topics, getting back in touch, trends or other areas of interest. If you don’t have a LinkedIn profile yet, go to LinkedIn.com to create one for free. Then add Mount Royal University to the Education section of your profile by clicking the “add to profile” button on our website.
How to get started
- Explore the discussions on the Discussions page and post a comment
- See a post your interested in? Like it
- Browse members to reconnect with alumni you haven’t seen in a while or reach out to someone new
- Message a member to reach out and connect for free (try not to ask about job openings specifically)
- Post a comment on a discussion—give your input or ask a question
- Start a discussion related to careers, mentorship, networking, finances or whatever you think would be of interest to other MRU alumni
- Ask for input on a topic/trend or share an interesting article
- Introduce yourself to the group and what you want to get out of it
- Browse the jobs tab
- Ask to start a program specific group (see below for more details)
- Make sure your posts are relevant and of interest
- Don’t self-promote it comes off wrong and you want to gain connections not lose them
- Remember MRU alumni span multiple generations and various unique career paths. LinkedIn provides a great opportunity to receive advice or mentorship from a vast audience
- If you have a job post it under the job tab
- Keep conversation respectful but it’s okay to disagree, that’s what a discussion is all about!
- Tap into the LinkedIn Alumni tool to find where other alumni work and live
Common misconceptions & concerns addressed
LinkedIn is for business professionals
LinkedIn is great for people in all different careers. Many social service, health and education professionals are on LinkedIn and LinkedIn has plenty of articles and blog posts related to these fields. By joining the alumni group you can connect with alumni in different fields and create a more diverse professional network.
Having/updating my profile will make my employer think I’m looking for a job
LinkedIn is great for job seeking but offers much more than that. It’s filled with interesting articles in the Pulse section about various fields including health, education and technology. It also allows you to connect with like-minded individuals by joining groups including the Mount Royal University Alumni LinkedIn Group or browsing the LinkedIn Alumni tool.
I’m worried about privacy and having everyone know my entire history
You can also control how much non-connections can see and choose what you include in your profile. Keep in mind that you’ll need to have Mount Royal University listed in the Education section of your profile to ensure you’re permitted to join the group. LinkedIn has made this even easier with the new “add to profile” button. Click on the button on our website while logged in to LinkedIn to add Mount Royal University to the Education section of your profile in a couple quick steps.
I’ll be spammed with connection requests
You can select who can send you invitations using the Communications tab and the Privacy & Settings. You can choose to have anyone be allowed to request to connect with you or limited who can even ask.
LinkedIn Groups for Alumni Groups (Chapters, Branches Shared Interest Groups (SIGs))
We can create a LinkedIn Group for your alumni Chapter, Branch or SIG under our Mount Royal University Alumni LinkedIn group. This is a great place to post discussions specific to your area of interest/program. You’re also welcome to post meeting and event information here to share with the Alumni Group. We already have Groups for the public relations, psychology, social innovation, Cougar Athletics and justice studies Groups. Contact James Parsons, coordinator, Chapters & Branches to have one created for your group, at email@example.com or 403.440.7047.