Academic Standing

Required to Withdraw

You will be Required to Withdraw from Mount Royal if:

  • you were placed on Academic Probation for one semester,
  • your cumulative GPA* remained below 2.00, and
  • you did not demonstrate Significant Improvement in your last semester of study.

*Grade Point Average from all credit courses completed at MRU

You are required to withdraw for 12 months. During that time, you are not permitted to register in any credit courses. However, you are permitted to register in academic upgrading courses or continuing education courses.

Appealing the Requirement to Withdraw is a two-step process if you wish to remain registered in your Winter 2020 courses.

STEP 1: You must indicate your intent to appeal the Requirement to Withdraw by the end of the day on January 12, 2020 to remain registered in any Winter 2020 courses. To indicate your intent to appeal, please complete the Intent to Appeal online form. If you do not indicate your intent to appeal you will be dropped from all Winter 2020 courses. 

STEP 2: After submitting your Intent to Appeal, you must complete the Requirement to Withdraw Appeal form and include supporting documentation (such as a medical note, a letter from counsellor, or a legal document) before January 17, 2020. Documentation must establish a clear and substantive link to your academic standing over the period of time the credits were earned.

You are encouraged to meet with your academic advisor to discuss the appeal process

The outcome of the appeal will be determined by the Academic Standing Appeals Committee based on the information you provide. Under no circumstances will an appeal be accepted after the deadline.

You will be informed of the outcome of your appeal by January 23, 2020 through your MyMRU email account.

If you submit your intent to appeal and your appeal by the specified dates and your appeal is successful, you will be able to remain registered in your Winter 2020 courses. See How can I appeal the Requirement to Withdraw? for more information.

You will be dropped from all courses you are registered in if:

  • you do not indicate your intent to appeal;
  • you do not submit an appeal; or
  • your appeal is rejected.
Your funding will be affected and you will be required to start making payments on your student loan six months after you cease being a full-time student. Contact the Student Awards and Financial Aid Office (E102) at 403.440.6223 for additional information.
To register in academic upgrading courses, you must complete the Academic Upgrading Only for Students Required to Withdraw form. This form is available at the Office of the Registrar (A101).

After your required 12-month absence from Mount Royal credit courses, you will need to apply for re-admission in accordance with the application deadlines for new students.

Meet with your academic advisor to discuss your plans for re-admission, which may include completing upgrading courses. It's important that you understand how taking credit courses at another institution during your 12-month absence could affect your re-admission plans at MRU.

Visit our Resources for Academic Success to find the tools to help you.