Frequently Asked Questions

Students questions

Any student registered in credit, credit-free or academic upgrading programs may live in residence. Priority is given to students enrolled in full-time studies (at least nine credits). Your home address doesn't matter. You can be from Calgary and be accepted into residence.

Note: Mount Royal Residence is single-student housing; family housing is not offered except under the Indigenous Housing Program.

Mount Royal Residence Services provides single-student housing. Family housing is not available except under the Indigenous Housing Program.

Mount Royal and Boardwalk Rental Communities do recognize that securing rental accommodation for your family while you attend Mount Royal can be a difficult and expensive proposition. Boardwalk is expressing their commitment to helping students at Mount Royal by offering ten families a $150/month discount on rental units in their South West properties. Only three things are required in order for students to take advantage of this excellent opportunity. You must be enrolled in full-time studies at Mount Royal, you must have a family and you need to sign a 12 month lease in order to qualify.

Should you wish to participate in this program, you will need to pick up a Letter of Confirmation of Enrolment from the Registrar's Office and provide it to Boardwalk's on-site leasing staff when entering into a leasing agreement. All arrangements are to be organized directly with Boardwalk Rental Communities. For leasing opportunities, please visit Boardwalk's website.

Mount Royal's Students Association maintains an up-to-date listings of houses, duplexes, suites, apartments and room and board for students who do not live on campus. Please phone 403.440.6401 for further information.

Note: Mount Royal does not make arrangements on behalf of the students and all arrangements for off-campus housing is the student's responsibility.

Yes, all roommate requests are handled through the residence application portal. Once you are eligible to choose your roommate, instructions will be sent to you.

We recommend that new students take the opportunity to live with people other than the friends they already know. That way, you won't miss the opportunity to get to know new roommates.

Yes! Please see our Gender-Neutral Housing section for more information.

Rooms are assigned by the preference given in your application.

The majority of Mount Royal Residence is made up of four bedroom units. There are limited two and single bedroom units.

You will be notified via email once you have been placed in a room, then log into the application portal to view and contact your new roommates.

We understand that sometimes roommates can't live together harmoniously, but before you request a room change, please contact your Resident Advisor to help with the situation. To best prepare yourself for living with someone else, please see the Roommate Starter Kit before you move in.

There is a room change freeze for the first month of classes.

A RA is a student trained for a leadership position in residence and dedicated to helping make your residence experience a positive one and to help you make Mount Royal and residence life a success.

RAs live in residence with you, in each East Residence triad and on each West Residence apartment floor.

Once your application is received, you will be sent information regarding how to pay your $400.00 security deposit. Payment of this deposit secures your place in residence. Your placement letter will be emailed to you at the end of June and residence fees are due August 1st. Please see dates and deadlines for more information.

No, Residence Services does not currently offer any meal plans.

Mount Royal's residence facilities are self-contained living units. You have a kitchen with all appliances which can help reduce the costs of your schooling by "eating in". If you're looking for something on campus, there are a variety of cafeteria and food court options.

Residence Advisors will let you know about the first community meeting and all welcome activities at move-in. There will be a number of monthly activities planned for you and your community by your Residence Advisor, they will be responsible to keep you updated on what is happening in residence. You can find out more by visiting the Residence Activities Council website, the Mount Royal Residence Facebook page and reading notices posted on residence bulletin boards.

Residence Services can accommodate up to 1,000 students.

There are two types of mattress sizes in Residence

  • Most units are Super-Singles (Twin XL) mattress measuring 99 cm x 203 cm (39" x 80"). Many single sheets are made to fit these measurements.
  • Single bedroom and RA bedrooms are Double (Full) mattress measuring 137 cm x 191 cm (54" x 75").

On your application, you indicate where you would like to live. If you change your mind get in touch with Residence Services.

Your placement email will describe the type of unit you have been placed in as well as its location. You can log onto the portal to view your suite number and bedroom number once you have been placed.

Cable television is available in each unit's common room (included in your fees) and there is cable television access in each bedroom (not included in your fees). Contact Shaw Cable if you would like to have cable television in your bedroom and arrange to be billed directly for the cost. You will also need to make all arrangements to connect and disconnect the cable service.

Yes. High-speed Internet is provided as part of your Residence Fees. Please view our Internet page for more information.