Rules, Policies & Forms

Housing policies


The privacy of each resident’s unit is genuinely respected. However, entry into a unit is sometimes necessary for the following purposes:

  • In response to requested or required maintenance services
  • To perform health and safety inspections
  • In response to an apparent emergency or danger to a person’s welfare, property, or the building

In non-emergency situations, entry will occur if the resident has requested maintenance services. For safety or preventative maintenance issues, notice will be posted in advance for access to the unit. For emergencies, no notice will be posted.

Care of facilities

Residents are expected to maintain their units to standards of cleanliness and exercise reasonable care for the facilities. Routine cleaning is expected to occur in all units.

Alterations to the units are prohibited. Students are also prohibited from providing their own maintenance to the units.

Maintenance for the facilities is provided by Residence Services' maintenance staff. This includes issues such as clogged drains and burned-out light bulbs as well as window, electrical, pest and heating concerns. Residents can make a request for maintenance online through the Residence Portal.

For emergency maintenance requests, (flooding, no heat, etc.), residents should call the Residence Services Office (during office hours), or the on-call Resident Advisor or Security Services (after hours).

For more information on maintenance and making maintenance requests, please see repairs and maintenance.

Emergency text messaging system

Residence Services utilizes an emergency text messaging service system to notify residents of emergency and critical situations, such as extreme weather or hazardous situations on campus. We consider this system an integral component of keeping residents safe and secure. As such, mobile phone numbers of residents on record are added to this system upon acceptance of the Accommodation Agreement.  

This system will only be used by Residence Services and Security Services to notify residents of emergency situations.

Please ensure the mobile phone information you provided us is accurate. It must be your current mobile phone number. To update your information:

  1. Log in to the Residence Portal.
  2. Click "My Profile."
  3. Change the necessary contact information.
  4. Click "Save & Continue."

No personal information will be disclosed outside of the service provider, CommAlert. CommAlert operates under the EMRS system. It is legislated by the CRTC for emergency communications. The City of Calgary and the Calgary Emergency Management Agency also use this service, and it meets their strict requirements.

FOIP statement

The personal information that you provide is collected under the authority of the Post-Secondary Learning Act and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act Section 33 (c) for the purposes of processing Residence applications and is maintained within Residence Services for historical information purposes. If you have any inquiries regarding your personal information, please contact us.

Insurance requirements

Residence Services requires that all residents carry Personal Liability Insurance of no less than $1,000,000 for the entirety of their stay on campus. We also strongly recommend that residents carry adequate contents coverage for your personal belongings. In the event of a loss, MRU will not be responsible for your personal items. It is possible that you have coverage under your parent or guardian's insurance policy so we suggest checking there first. Please contact us with any questions.


A resident who is locked out of his or her unit may request entry from the Front Desk staff during office hours or from the Resident Advisor (RA) after hours. There is a $25 lock-out charge.

Lost mailbox or room key

Lost mailbox keys or room keys will result in a $25 charge to replace the key. If the original key is found, it can be returned for a $15 refund.

Solicitation and advertising

Solicitation in residence is strictly prohibited.

Advertising or posting of information must be approved by – and will only be distributed by – Residence Services staff. Anyone interested in having material posted, communicated or distributed in Residence must always check with the Residence Services office.