Co-operative Education

Bachelor of Business Administration - International Business

What kinds of work term opportunities may be available?

Students may be employed in a variety of work experience positions related to business with an international focus or component, such as market research, import and export, logistics, project or program coordination, international development, finance, recruitment, communications and public relations, and start-up ventures.

Position titles may include:

  • Business Analyst
  • Program or Project Coordinator
  • Export Development Assistant
  • Import/Export Administrator
  • International Market Researcher
  • Supply Chain Assistant
  • Trade Commissioner Assistant
  • World Markets Analyst

Ideally the work experience will offer international exposure and experience. Students planning on attaining the Forum for International Trade Training (FITT) Diploma and Certified International Trade Professional (CITP) designation should let their Co-operative Education coordinator know as they will be encouraged to seek opportunities that may constitute work experience toward that goal.

Students intending to work outside of Canada need to tell the Co-operative Education coordinator as soon as possible - two or more semesters in advance of the work term. Regardless of the student's or employer's level of preparedness, there are institutional requirements that involve Career Services, Mount Royal International Education and other stakeholders. Information on international work or study experience can be found here.

How do I prepare for my Co-op work term?

Eligibility Requirements

Students interested in pursuing Co-op must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Submit the BBA Application to Co-operative Education by the deadline
  • Complete a minimum of 15 courses prior to the first work term
  • Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0. Preference will be given to students with a GPA of 2.5
  • Successfully complete the following course requirements prior to each work term (prerequisite courses do not need to be completed prior to submitting a Co-op program application):
Co-op Work Term 1 Co-op Work Term 2 Co-op Work Term 3
  • ACCT 2121
  • HRES 2170
  • MGMT 2130*
  • MGMT 2262
  • MKTG 2150
  • One of INBU: 2201, 3301, 3302, 3304, 3305, 3306
Three additional
INBU Minor courses
Total of six
INBU Minor courses
  • Successfully complete the Orientation to Co-operative Education course prior to the first work term

*ENTR 2301 or SINV 2201 will also be accepted in place of MGMT 2130.

Students alternate academic semesters with work terms to a maximum of three 4-month Co-op work terms, and must finish their prorgam on an academic semester. Co-op work terms may be combined to lengthen the time spent in the workplace. For example, students may combine Work Terms 1 and 2, or Work Terms 2 and 3, for back-to-back work terms. Students must meet the course requirements for the highest level work term in order to be eligible to complete the back-to-back work terms.

Orientation to Co-operative Education course

Orientation to Co-op is a professional development course required in preparation for the first work term. This course prepares students to:

  • Complete a skills self-assessment
  • Write competitive, professional resumes and cover letters
  • Develop job interview skills
  • Network with employers
  • Conduct self-marketing campaigns
  • Understand and comply with workplace and employer expectations

The Orientation to Co-operative Education course is generally offered in the Fall semester. Contact the Co-operative Education coordinator for information.

What about expenses?

All work terms are paid opportunities. However, there are expenses associated with participating in a Co-operative Education program. By starting to plan now, you can be financially prepared for your work terms. Expenses may include:

  • Both the Orientation to Co-operative Education course and the Co-op work terms are non-credit courses and have fees attached to them. See the 2019/20 Tuition and Fee Schedules for more information
  • You will be responsible for your own transportation to and from the work site, and some work terms may require the use of a vehicle
  • If you accept a work term outside of Calgary, you will be responsible for relocation and living expenses in that location