Curriculum Development and Instructional Design Extension Certificate
Advance your skill-set and develop practical and theoretical knowledge as an educator while you gain the skills to design and analyze course curriculum in your field of expertise. Apply the principles of instructional design to create a customized project that demonstrates your ability to write effective learning outcome statements, design assessment and instructional strategies, integrate media, and evaluate and revise curriculum.
- Enhance your knowledge of adult learning principles and learning styles and how they relate to educational design
- Expand your understanding of instructional strategies and design principles, student assignments, and formative and summative assessment
- Plan, create and assess a pilot course with support from the instructor and your peers
- Complete the 6 required courses (90 hours)
- Can be completed within 1 year up to a maximum of 3 years
- All required materials are provided as part of the listed course fees. There are no additional costs for materials in this program.
- The listed online course hours indicate the estimated time for students to review the online learning units. Your actual time spent completing assignments may vary.
- Courses must be taken in the order listed in the chart.
- Intermediate skills in MS Word are strongly recommended In order to succeed in this program.
- APA 6 formatting standards must be met when completing all assignments. APA Formatting
Principles of Instructional Design
Explore instructional design principles, characteristics of adult learners and their implications in designing an effective instructional program. Apply information about learning styles to the design of instructional learning outcomes. Write clear and concise performance outcomes and competencies in order to direct instructional design.
|Subject code: XCDA 10001||15 Hours. Fee: $399 |
|CRN 30074||Online||Jan. 10 - Feb. 9|
Designing Assessment Strategies
Discover how to design student assignments and investigate strategies to assess student performance. Link learning outcomes with assessment and apply Classroom Assessment Techniques (CATS). Create a rubric to assess project learning outcomes. Practice designing an effective student assignment.
Prerequisite: Principles of Instructional Design
|Subject code: XCDA 10002||15 Hours. Fee: $399|
|CRN 30075||Online||Feb. 21 - March 22|
Designing Instructional Strategies
Apply the principles of instructional design to link learning outcomes. Map these outcomes with learning activities using an outcome matrix. Apply the principles of Dynamics of Group Development to the instructional design of learning activities. Design instructional learning activities for class, unit and module delivery of instruction.
Prerequisite: Designing Assessment Strategies
|Subject code: XCDA 10003||15 Hours. Fee: $399 |
|CRN 30094||Online||Jan. 10 - Feb. 9|
|CRN 30290||Online||April 3 - May 3|
Media Trends in Instructional Design
Focus on the use of instructional technology and media trends used in the production of classroom, blended and fully online courses. Compare current uses of technology with future trends. Build on the foundations of the ADDIE model.
Prerequisite: Designing Instructional Strategies
|Subject code: XCDA 10007||15 Hours. Fee: $399|
|CRN 30270||Online||Feb. 21 - March 22|
Curriculum Template Design
Apply the ADDIE model through the development of a course module. Gain an overview of the foundations of technical writing and use concepts and components covered in previous courses to prepare a course module using a development template.
Prerequisite: Media Trends in Instructional Design
|Subject code: XCDA 10008||15 Hours. Fee: $399|
|CRN 30291 ||Online||April 3 - May 3|
Curriculum Implementation and Evaluation
Continue explorations of the ADDIE model of instructional design by implementing and using peer and instructor evaluation to refine the course. Learn to design training for instructors and learners, explore processes for collecting and analyzing feedback, revise instructional design and report pilot results.
Prerequisite: Curriculum Template Design
|Subject code: XCDA 10009||15 Hours. Fee: $399||Not offered this semester.|
For information about this program:
403.440.6867 or 1.888.392.3655
Mount Royal University, 4825 Mount Royal Gate SW, Calgary AB T3E 6K6
Customize this program for your organization through our Corporate Training department.