Norman Vaughan, PhD
Academic Position: Professor
PhD, University of Calgary
M.Ed., University of Calgary
B.Sc., (Hons), Queens
Office: EL3423 H
Norm's teaching background includes graduate and undergraduate courses in educational technology, K–12 education in northern Canada, technical training in the petroleum industry, and English as a Second Language in Japan. He is the Co-founder of the Blended Online Design Network (BOLD), a member of the Community of Inquiry Research Group, the Associate Editor of the International Journal of Mobile and Blended Learning and he is on the Editorial Boards of the International Journal of Excellence in e-Learning, Canadian Journal of Learning and Technology, the International Journal of E-Learning & Distance Education, the Journal on Centres for Teaching & Learning, and the Learning Communities Journal.
Areas of Instruction
- Professional Dimensions II
- Understanding Current & Emerging Pedagogical Technologies
- Practicum II
- Capstone course
Areas of Scholarship
- K to 12 education
- Blended and online learning
- Faculty development
Selected Publications and Presentations
Vaughan, N.D., Reali, A., Stenbom, S., Jansen Van Vuuren, M., & MacDonald, D. (2017). Blended learning from design to evaluation: International case studies of evidence-based practice. Online Learning Journal, 21(3), 103-113. Available online.
Vaughan, N.D., Cool, R., & MacIsaac, K., & Stogre, T. (2017). ePortfolios as over-arching high impact practices for degree programs. The AAEEBL ePortfolio Review. 1(3), 36-45. Available online.
Vaughan, N.D. & Cloutier, D. (2017). Evaluating a blended degree program through the use of the NSSE framework. British Journal of Educational Technology. 48: 1176–1187. doi:10.1111/bjet.12537. Available online.
Garrison, D.R. & Vaughan, N.D. (2008). Blended Learning in Higher Education. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
Relevant Community Service
- President, Technology and Teacher Education Special Interest Group, Canadian Association of Teacher Education
- International Advisory Board Member, National Institute for Digital Learning (NIDL), Dublin City University, Ireland
- International Advisory Board Member, Distance Education and Learning Futures Alliance, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand
- Online Learning Network Advisory Board Member, Newburyport, Massachusetts