Current Students

Bachelor of Business Administration FAQs


The Business Advisors are available by email and one-on-one appointments to assist current MRU students by:
• providing clear and accurate explanations of MRU policies, procedures and resources
• helping students understand degree and program requirements and why the exist
• engaging students in the academic planning process
• making appropriate referrals to other services on campus
• advocating for students when the student requires further assistance.

Advisors can give you options, things to think about and provide you referrals to various MRU services. Advisors cannot pick your courses, tell you what to major in, or make decisions for you.

Once you've been admitted, paid your registration deposit and activated your account, your next step will be to register for courses. Registration for new students begins mid-April each year, and the Advisors have produced an Advising Guide to help you through the process. New Student Advising sessions are also scheduled to coincide with the beginning of the registration period to further assist students and answer questions.  New students are encouraged to read through the New Student FAQs.

The program is built on five courses per semester, so if you maintained a regular course load in high school, you should be able to take five courses per semester at MRU.  Alternatively, you can consider four courses per semester and make up missing courses in the Spring or Summer semesters. This plan sets a student up to graduate in four years. For every additional year it takes you to graduate, you forfeit full-time professional earnings, plus additional school costs (estimate $50,000).

Other ways to "catch up" or accommodate other commitments:

  • block week courses (course offered in a single week in-class, plus online activities),
  • online offerings (limited at MRU),
  • offerings at other institutions (you need to request and receive a Letter of Permission prior to registering in a course elsewhere)

Two courses is considered full-time in either a Spring or Summer semester at MRU. Classes are condensed to about six hours per week, so you progress through the coursework much faster than in a regular semester.  Course offerings are limited, so you will likely be able to choose electives and GNED courses, not major-specific courses.

mruGradU8 is a degree audit program that will guide you in your course selection as you move through your program. You can access mruGradU8 through under the Student Resources tab. In addition to the advice you receive from your Advisor, mruGradU8 is a great way to stay on track!
Students may transfer in up to 50% of the required coursework for the BBA.  Normally, this means that students can transfer in up to 20 courses.  mruGradU8 is an excellent tool to see how your transfer credit fits into the BBA - if you have questions about how your transfer credit is being applied to your degree, please see an Advisor.  For information on how to transfer courses to MRU, please check out the information on transfer equivalencies online.
All BBA students are admitted to the General Management major. Students wishing to declare a major in Accounting, Human Resources or Marketing should do so as soon as the decision has been made once a minimum of ten courses have been completed.

The Declaration of Major forms are available at the Bissett main office and the Registrars Office. Students can also download the form online.

Students must be in the General Management major in order to declare a concentration.  Concentrations are available in Financial Analysis, Financial Services, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, International Business, Social Innovation and Supply Chain Management.

The Declaration of Concentration forms are available at the Bissett main office and the Registrars Office. Students can also download the form online.

No.  The decision to minor in a subject should be based on a number of reasons: to add depth to your studies, to add breadth to your studies, to explore an area of passion and whether or not you think it will benefit your future career.  Students may minor in more than one subject, and may pick a minor from any faculty at MRU.  Adding minors to some majors may require that students take courses above the minimum required to complete the BBA.
The Declaration of Minor forms are available at the Bissett main office and the Registrars Office. Students can also download the form online.
Yes.  Students must obtain a Letter of Permission (LOP) in order to take courses elsewhere towards their degree.  Information on the LOP process can be found online.

Co-operative Education (Co-op) is a program that formally integrates students’ academic studies with paid work experience. Students alternate academic semesters at Mount Royal University with periods of experience in appropriate work settings, which are approved by the institution as suitable learning situations. Co-operative Education students are engaged in productive work, are paid for the work performed, and are monitored by Mount Royal University. A students’ performance on the job is supervised and evaluated by the employers.

Students should apply for Co-op by March 1 of their first year of studies to ensure that there is enough time to complete the Orientation to Co-operative Education course and three work terms.

MRU exchange agreements allow students to study abroad for one semester at over 79 institutions in 24 different countries on an international exchange.  BBA students are encouraged to participate on an exchange in their third year of study... that way much of the prerequisite coursework has been completed, and there is ample time remaining to complete any remaining degree requirements back at MRU.

Students should check the International Education website for more information.I want to pursue a designation after graduate, and involve their Advisors in the application process.

Graduate school is a logical step for people whose ambitions require graduate or professional degrees (doctor, lawyer, professor). It is also a great opportunity for those who enjoy their field of study and want to continue pursuing their love of knowledge in a specific discipline and/or conduct in-depth, comprehensive research in a special field of study.

Ideally, start the process 12 to 18 months prior to the semester you wish to enroll. Career Services has two excellent Tip Sheets for those interested in graduate school:

Career Services provides opportunities for students to clarify, experience and achieve their career and employment goals. Career Services assists students with researching job opportunities, writing resumes, searching for jobs and finding volunteer opportunities.

Counselling Services offers a structure and process that will take students through all stages of career exploration. Counselling Services explores important factors like aptitudes, motivations and personal circumstances in relation to career paths.

Students wishing to pursue an industry designation after graduation (CPA, CFA, CFP, FITT, etc.) are encouraged to speak directly to the designation in question.
Academic Advising Services (AAS) has put together a great FAQ page with information on registering for courses, General Education, prerequisites, important dates and much more. Check out the AAS FAQ online.
Advisors are available to talk to current MRU students (both those in the BBA, and those interested in switching into the program). Appointments can be made through our online booking system up to one week in advance.
Students are encouraged to check their exam schedules as soon as possible once posted online (approximately six weeks prior to the exam period start date each semester).
The Deferred Exam Policy sets out the rules and regulations by which a program Chair may grant or deny a deferred final exam request.  Midterm and quiz deferrals are granted at the discretion of the course instructor.
The BBA Program Planning sheets for all majors, minors and honours degrees are available in the main Bissett office, on the bookshelf on the far wall.  For copies of the Program Planning sheets for the majors and concentrations, please visit the Program Planning page on the main Academic Advising website.
You will receive a letter grade from the sending institution, that will show up on the sending institution's transcript.  When the course arrives at MRU (if you've requested a Letter of Permission to take the course), it will appear on mruGradU8 as "TR" (denoting Transfer Credit), followed by the letter grade assigned by MRU (see example below).  The letter grade, however, will not be reflected in or impact your MRU cumulative GPA.



MRU advisors are experts on MRU programs and advise you on what courses to take if you want to graduate from MRU. If you intend to complete a program elsewhere, you need to contact that institution to understand their program, admissions and transfer credit policies. You may find some information on the Transfer Alberta web page helpful.

Before you decide to leave MRU, you should explore why you want to leave MRU and be sure you understand the program you are heading to. In some cases, students may think the program they are interested in is not available at MRU, but it may just be called a different name here. Even similar programs (business degrees) are structured differently at each institution, so you might want to research and compare curriculum (required courses, areas of specialty, courses offerings) and school amenities first. If you are interested in exploring MRU programs before you decide to look elsewhere, email us! Counselling is also available at the MRU to help with decision making.