Minor in General Science for Elementary Education
The Minor in General Science for Elementary Education will provide students with classroom and practical laboratory instruction that will help them feel more comfortable teaching science in the elementary classroom. NTSC 3000 is a required course where each week students will perform labs based on the Alberta Learning elementary science curriculum, and they will have practice designing and testing their own lab experiences. Within the minor, students will take courses from a variety of scientific disciplines, reflecting the interdisciplinary design of the elementary science curriculum.
Students planning to complete a minor in General Science should check with an Advisor early in their studies so that they can ensure that they meet all requirements before graduation. Some of the courses in the minor have prerequisites, so students should consider these prerequisites when selecting their courses.
Students MUST be enrolled in the Bachelor of Education - Elementary degree program and complete six required courses.
- NTSC 3000 - Experimental Science for Elementary Education
- A minimum of two courses from List A
- The other three courses can come from either List A or List B.
List A Courses:
- BIOL 1202 - Introduction to Cell Biology
- CHEM 1201 - General Chemistry - Structure and Bonding
- ECOL 1210 - Ecology
- GEOL 1101 - Physical Geology
- PHYS 1201 - Classical Physics I
List B Courses:
- ASTR 1101 - The Solar System
- ASTR 1103 - The Universe at Large
- BIOL 1205 - The Organization and Diversity of Life
- BIOL 2309 - Plants and People
- CHEM 1203 - The Organic Chemistry of Life
- CHEM 2211 - The Chemistry Between Us
- COMP 1001 - Introduction to Computer-Based Problem Solving for the Sciences
- GEOG 1101 - The Physical Environment
- GEOG 1105 - Introduction to Mapping, GIS and Remote Sensing
- GEOL 1109 - Introduction to Geology
- NTSC 1112 - An Introduction to Current Environmental Issues
- PHYS 1104 - Everyday Physics - A Conceptual Introduction
Note: This minor is restricted solely to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Education – Elementary Education program. For current information on declaring a minor please go to mtroyal.ca/beadvised/mydegree.