Resources and Training
Upcoming Seminars, Workshops and Presentations
|Name of Event||Time, Date and Location||Details|
Ethics 101 Workshop
Friday, March 15, 2019
|This session considers principles of Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans as required by the Canadian Tri-Council Policy Statement, and assists researchers planning to apply for Ethics Clearance from HREB. |
Please register via the ADC website.
For more information on this event, please contact HREB Coordinator Priscilla Wamucii at (403) 440-6069 or via email at email@example.com.
Research Development Officers
One of ORSCE's core priorities is supporting researchers in the development of their research proposals and grant applications. ORSCE's Research Development Officers (RDOs) offer one-on-one support in developing your grant proposals. The RDOs can work with you from idea to proposal submission, or review proposals at any stage of completion.
Contact a RDO for:
- Strategic Advice: The RDOs can sit down with you one-on-one and discuss your research direction, project idea, funding options and provide strategic direction in your options for funding your research.
- Grants Development: You have a plan and need to get started on the grant proposal. Contact an RDO – we can provide some direction in how to approach proposal development, provide strategies for some of those particularly tricky areas (budgets, for example) and read provide feedback on drafts. The earlier you make contact, the more we can help.
- Final Proposal Review: Just need an additional set of eyes for a final review of your proposal? Contact us a week before the MRU internal application deadline.
Grants Support - Fall 2018
To better support our faculty with their Tri-Council grant (SSHRC) applications, the Office of Research, Scholarship and Community Engagement has an agreement with an external consultant to provide grant development services.
This support is available to all faculty who are preparing applications for the 2018-19 funding cycles (Insight, Connection).
To gain access to this funding, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following details:
- Your Faculty/Department
- The opportunity to which you wish to apply
- A brief one paragraph description of your project
The ORSCE will review your request and then connect you with the consultant.
ROMEO is an effective one-stop-shop for researchers, signing authorities and reviewers, designed to streamline submission through approval processes. Users can login to check the status of an ethics application, or start a new grant application, or complete a few review assignments.
The ROMEO User guide provides insight on how to use the platform starting from its home page navigation to learning how to submit application and event forms.
General information about the ROMEO Research Portal including important dates about workshops and other updates, and important how-to's.
ROMEO User Guide
More information about the Research Portal detailing parts and techniques on how to use the platform.
ROMEO Research Portal
Login to the ROMEO Research Portal to access applications, events, and other research related materials.
Software and By-Appointment Training Sessions
MRU IT Services is upgrading SPSS to Version 25 (Version 24 stopped working on August 30th). SPSS license holders should have received a message through the System Centre (the pop-up panel at the bottom right corner of your computer screen) to install the new version. If you did not receive this prompt or you have questions about the upgrade process, please contact Julia Johnson in the ORSCE at (403) 440-6069 or email@example.com.
NOTE: Computers/laptops MUST be plugged into an internet port with an ethernet cable on campus in order for the upgrade to be done.
SPSS (Statistical Package for the Social Sciences) is a software package used for statistical analysis, data management and documentation.
It offers the following features:
- Descriptive statistics: Cross tabulation, Frequencies, Descriptives, Explore, Descriptive Ratio Statistics
- Bivariate statistics: Means, t-test, ANOVA, Correlation (bivariate, partial, distances), Nonparametric tests
- Prediction for numerical outcomes: Linear regression
- Prediction for identifying groups: Factor analysis, cluster analysis (two-step, K-means, hierarchical), Discriminant
For assistance in handling/interpreting your SPSS data, please contact us at (403) 440-6069 to set up an appointment.
NVivo is the #1 software package for qualitative data analysis. It was designed for qualitative researchers working with rich text-based and/or multimedia information, where deep levels of analysis on small or large volumes of data were required.
NVivo accommodates a wide range of research methods, including:
- network and organizational analysis
- action or evidence-based research
- discourse analysis
- grounded theory
- conversation analysis
- literature reviews
- mixed methods research
- the Framework methodology.
NVivo supports data formats such as audio files, videos, digital photos, Word, PDF, spreadsheets, rich text, plain text and web and social media data. Users can interchange data with applications like Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, IBM SPSS Statistics, EndNote, Microsoft OneNote, SurveyMonkey and Evernote; and order transcripts from within NVivo projects, using TranscribeMe (© Wikipedia).
NVivo in Action: Upcoming Webinars Just Announced
Analyzing Social Media Content | Monday, October 15, 2018 - 12 p.m. MST - Learn more | Register
Explore and Visualize your Data | Thursday, October 24, 2018 - 12 p.m. MST - Learn more | Register
If you have any questions or require more information about ROMEO, please contact us.