Funeral Director Certificate
The Funeral Director Certificate prepares you to serve families as a funeral director and to meet the academic and experience requirements for licensing established by the Alberta Funeral Service Regulatory Board.
Complete 11 courses (1,800 hours) with a minimum grade of C in each course. The program is completed through part-time studies within 1 year but must be completed within 6 years.
Step by Step Registration Guide:
- Look up courses via MyMRU> Register & Pay> Look up Courses
- Search by term (e.g. Fall 2017 CREDIT or Winter 2018 CREDIT) and then Submit
- Select the subject: e.g. Funeral Service and then Course Search. Tip: You can choose multiple subjects by holding CTRL while selecting each subject.
- Find the course name and number (e.g. XFDC 10001) and click on View Sections. All of the scheduled sections in the term will display. If there is a tutorial or laboratory connected to the lecture, there will be a note.
- Select your courses for the semester and Submit.
Program Planning GuidePlease see the attached guide(s) to help you with program planning. Review work experience requirements for your program.
|Semester #1||Funeral Directing I|
Introduction to Conflict Resolution
Psychology of Death & Dying
|Semester #2||Funeral Directing II|
Negotiating with Integrity
|Semester #3 & 4||Funeral Directing III|
Funeral Trends & Regulations
|Any Semester||Work Experience I|
Funeral Director Work Experience II
Note: Schedule is subject to change.
Ready to get started?
Get a head start on your program. Contact us for details.
- Plan, arrange and direct funeral ceremonies.
- Be considerate of and respond to various religious and cultural traditions associated with death.
- Interpret and apply various acts and regulations which govern the funeral service profession in Alberta.
- Communicate and work effectively with families, government, health and legal agencies.
- Practice the companioning aspect of caregiving.
For more information about this program:
403.440.6867 or 1.866.616.3606
Mount Royal University, 4825 Mount Royal Gate SW, Calgary AB T3E 6K6