Yoga Therapy Extension Certificate
Effective July 21, 2017, the Yoga Therapy Extension Certificate program is suspended.
Current, active students will have until July 2020 to complete the program requirements for graduation. Please refer to your Learner Resource Site for registration information.
Yoga therapy presents a model of wellness for chronic and acute conditions. As a Yoga therapist, you will create individualized treatment plans to address common health issues and individual well-being through recognizing the interconnection of mind, body, emotions and spirit.
The Yoga Therapy Extension Certificate is designed to prepare you for entry into professional practice. Upon graduation from this innovative program you can practice in conjunction with current medical treatment and in tandem with other complementary therapies. Yoga therapists can work in hospitals, wellness centres or in private practice.
Earn a university credential
Your certificate is issued by Mount Royal University, a respected Canadian post-secondary institution
- The program and courses meet the academic rigor and expectations of a post-secondary institution. The program integrates this academic rigor with experiential learning while honouring yoga tradition and lineages.
- The program design is developed and delivered by an instructional team and subject matter experts who have deep knowledge and academic training in their field of study.
Experience campus life
Benefit from small class sizes, a tight-knit student community, expert instructors and a dedicated program team while experiencing the amenities and services of a university.
Gain real-life experience
Connect with employers through practicum experiences and community volunteerism.
Upon completion you will be able to:
- Understand the foundational roots and philosophies of yoga while demonstrating an in-depth knowledge of yoga as it relates to health, healing and wholeness.
- Develop and apply a yoga therapy treatment plan for the clients’ physiological, psychological and spiritual well-being.
- Adapt yoga practices to individual client needs and conduct a comprehensive client intake and assessment to identify conditions that are indicated for yoga therapy.
- Critically examine yoga therapy research and demonstrate basic knowledge of Ayurvedic principles
- Establish ethical and professional practices in developing therapeutic relationships with clients and other health professionals.
- Examine and use effective business and marketing principles for wellness therapies.
This part-time program has a unique delivery model. As a yoga therapy student you will complete the program through a combination of in-class week-long intensives, online courses and practicum hours in your own community. Due to the academic rigour of the program, pre-course work and at-home study is often required. The flexible delivery model welcomes local, national, and international students. Interactive and engaging online courses provide flexibility and convenience to meet the need of students with busy lifestyles. Flexible program timelines allow students to customize their course schedule according to their needs.
The program can be completed in a minimum of 2 years up to a maximum of 3 years (effective July 21, 2016).
|Tuition||Textbooks and Supplies (approx.)|
|Total Tuition* ||$6,252||$600|
|*Tuition is paid per course per semester|
Please note that student loans and scholarships are not currently available for this program.
For more information about this program:
403.440.6867 or 1.866.616.3606
Mount Royal University, 4825 Mount Royal Gate SW, Calgary AB T3E 6K6