Practicum & Work Experience Requirements
Applicants and current students are required to complete additional course-specific requirements as part of their program. Students residing outside of Alberta need to consult with their Provincial or National Regulatory Board for information on completing work experience courses.
Embalming Practicum Requirements
Students must complete Embalming Practicum Requirements prior to beginning embalming labs.
- Some requirements (i.e., immunizations) may take up to 7 months to complete
- For details on First Aid/CPR classes and times available on campus, please visit Mount Royal University Recreation or call 403.440.6517
Embalming labs are held in Calgary. Out-of-town students complete Embalming Practicum during a Calgary-based Intensive Institute (fall or winter); students from the Calgary area take Embalming Practicum during the fall-winter semesters.
Work Experience Requirements
Funeral Service diploma and Funeral Director certificate students may take work experience courses at the same time or after completing academic courses. Embalmer certificate students complete the Embalmer Work Experience after all other courses have been completed.
- A Non-Graduated Class 5 Driver's License is required by funeral homes (a Graduated Driver's License is not sufficient)
- Students are responsible for finding their own placement within a licensed funeral home and may need to relocate
- A Driver's Abstract and Police Information Check may be required by funeral homes. A criminal record may affect your ability to obtain a Funeral Director or Embalmer License
For more information about this program:
403.440.6867 or 1.866.616.3606
Mount Royal University, 4825 Mount Royal Gate SW, Calgary AB T3E 6K6