To promote environmental awareness and action within the MRU community.
- Model practices that have minimal impact on the environment
- Demonstrate the mindful stewardship of resources
- Promote the 4 Rs: reduce, reuse, repair, recycle
- Support social initiatives to nurture a sense of community
How we got started
The Green Team is a volunteer task force that has been active within our Faculty since 2007, with the addition of International Education in 2009, encouraging "green" behaviour in a fun and positive way.
What we've done
- Website - our website is an excellent environmental resource for the MRU community and beyond.
- Earth Day awareness campaigns - host displays on Main Street to bring awareness to our committee and the activities we are involved in.
- Green action rewards - Faculty members "caught" being environmentally responsible were awarded a green token to exchange for green gifts
- Default 2-sided printing - revised print settings for all Faculty computers.
- Gift basket raffles - funds raised purchased recycling bins, supplied prizes and sponsored a bench in MRU's Centennial Garden
- Garage sales - held each spring and fall in staff lounge - leftovers to Women in Need
- Freecycle Christmas - ornament and decoration exchange each December - jewellery and accessories added in 2010 - leftovers to Women in Need
- Book Exchange - second-hand books available for free in staff lounge
- Recycling bins - accepting all City of Calgary "blue box" items - Green Team members maintain regularly.
- Business clothing collection box - to Women in Need
- Winter outerwear collection box - to Mustard Seed and Drop-in Centre
- Eyeglass collection box - to Lions Club for distribution to third world
- Cellphone recycling box - and other items with rechargeable batteries
- Candy Cane Challenge - which area within the Faculty could take the most actions to "green" its Christmas 2008 celebrations? Prize of $50 to charity of choice.
- Project Runway Green Edition - Earth Day celebration 2009 - Faculty teams had to make outfits using only recycled items. Prize of $50 to charity of choice.
- Green Thumb Series - each spring, host guest speakers who promote green gardening techniques.
- Healthy You Series - Healthy choices for home, family and yard - 3 lunchtime workshops in 2010-11 - open to all MRU employees.
- Family Fun day - sporting goods collection and distribution to children in need.
- 2012 Faculty Christmas party - hosted using green initiatives.
- 2012 Socks for a Cause - hosted a faculty competition and collected 1364 pairs of socks!
- 2013 Green Resolutions - CE Staff recorded their 2013 green resolution on flip chart paper. These resolutions and will be used in an Earth Day display on Main Street from April 22 to May 6th.
- 2013 St. Patrick’s Day Green Tea Social - hosted a green tea social to enjoy everyone’s company, chat, watch a green video and do a green trivia challenge.
- 2013 Earth Day Celebration - held a Gardening Freecycle
- 2013 Green Finale - CE staff answered the question "What does green mean to you?" with artistic donations, which were auctioned off at the Green Finale Gala.
- 2013 Green Thumb Series - we hosted guest speakers who promote sustainability on the topics of Urban Harvest, Your Weight and the Environment - Learning to live in an obesogenic world, and Top 10 Edible Plants.
- 2013 Green Teal Welcome Back Social - hosted a green tea social to get to know our colleagues and spread awareness of sustainable activities taking place on campus.
- 2013 Hats, Coats and Mitts Blitz - collected winter wear that was then donated to the Drop-In Centre.
- 2013 Christmas Free-cycle - ornament and decoration exchange where leftovers were donated to Women in Need.
- 2013 Socks for a Cause Competition - hosted a Faculty wide competition where we collected 1,729 pairs of socks that were donated to Inn From the Cold.
- 2013 Continuing Education Christmas Luncheon - hosted the annual Faculty Christmas luncheon with a "Rudolph the Green-Nosed Reindeer!" theme.
- 2014 St. Patrick's Day Social - hosted a green social to get to know our colleagues and spread awareness of sustainable activities taking place on campus.
- 2014 Green Thumb Series - we hosted a couple of Talk and Tours on the topics of Successful Seed Starting and Naturalizing Your Landscape.
- 2014 Hats, Coats and Mitts Blitz - gently used hats, coats, mittens, scarves, etc donated to the Calgary Drop in Centre
- 2014 Christmas Free-Cycle - items donated to re-use or re-gift during the Christmas season, including donations to the Food Bank and the Women in Need Society
- 2014 Christmas Socks for a Cause Competition - challenge with the Bissett School of Business to see which faculty could collect the most new socks for donation.
- 2015 Artisan Gala and Silent Auction - art auction in support of Earth Day.
- 2015 Campaign to Shut Down Your Computer - encouraging MRU Staff to shut down computers every night to save $33,000 annually.
- 2016 Earth Day Art Auction & Reception - annual art auction for Earth Day. All funds from the auction to be used for MRU Groundskeeping efforts (planting more trees!).