Blue Seal and Gold Seal Certification Programs
Be recognized for your experience and education, and take your career to the next level.
Life-long learning is a key to success in any field. The Faculty of Continuing Education and Extension at Mount Royal University is pleased to offer several programs recognized by Alberta’s Blue Seal program and the national Gold Seal program.
The Alberta Achievement in Business Competencies Program, also known as the Blue Seal Program, was established by the Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Board to encourage and recognize the study of business practices by individuals who are certified in an Alberta-designated trade or occupation.
The Blue Seal is issued to eligible individuals once the program standard has been fulfilled, including successful completion of 150 hours of study in approved programs.
What are the benefits of obtaining a Blue Seal Certificate?
Business skills are essential in all industries in Alberta. The Blue Seal Certificate demonstrates that you have applied reasonable effort in the study of business, and possess a respectable knowledge of one or more business topics.
What are the eligibility requirements for Blue Seal Certification?
Individuals possessing a valid Alberta Journeyman Certificate, an Alberta Occupational Certificate or a valid credential that is recognized by the Alberta and Industry Training Board are eligible to apply for a Blue Seal Certificate.
The education requirements to be granted a Blue Seal Certificate are:
- Completion of a program of study approved by the Apprenticeship and Industry Training Board; or
- Completion of 150 hours of study in one or more subject areas provided by Mount Royal University Continuing Education
The Alberta Apprenticeship Board has approved the following Mount Royal University programs for full credit towards the Alberta Blue Seal certificate:
The following Mount Royal programs are approved for credit of hours towards the minimum 150 hours of study required to obtain a Blue Seal certificate:
- Entrepreneurship Certificate of Completion
- Leadership Development Extension Certificate
- Organizational Change Management Extension Certificate
- Pillars of Management Certificate of Completion
- Project Management Extension Certificate
- Strategic Management Extension Certificate
What is Gold Seal Certification?
The Canadian Construction Association’s Gold Seal program is a national certification for construction managers and estimators Canada-wide. Gold Seal Certification is a comprehensive certification program that demonstrates expertise, industry commitment and ensures that practitioners are ready to meet the demands of construction projects across the country.
What are the benefits of Gold Seal Certification?
Certification offers the opportunity to improve your skills, advance your career, and provides recognition for your years of experience and education. It can help construction professionals, contractors (and subcontractors) and owners move into management, further construction knowledge and skills, change employment, or enhance industry credentials.
What are the eligibility requirements for Gold Seal Certification?
In order to apply for Gold Seal you require:
- Information on present and past positions and employers as well as projects that you have worked on
- Proof of formal education and training (certificate of completion or records of attendance)
- Proof of previous Gold Seal Certification if applicable
- Proof of tradesperson qualification if applicable
- Letter of recommendation from employer
The following Mount Royal University Continuing Education programs have been approved for formal education and training to apply for Gold Seal Certification:
- Project Management in Construction Extension Certificate
- Contract Management Extension Certificate
- Contract Management: Business Law Extension Certificate