Note: Medical Terminology Certificate of Completion
Effective Fall 2014, the Medical Terminology Certificate of Completion program has been suspended and we have launched the new Medical Terminology Extension Certificate (see below).
Medical Terminology Extension Certificate
Medical Terminology is a specialized language specific to the health care field. Take these courses to build a foundation of knowledge through examining topics such as word origins, abbreviations, body systems and disease.
- Those preparing for a career in the health care field
- Individuals considering applying to a medical field of study
- Anyone who would like to enter the medical office, transcription or administration fields
- Medical office assistant
- Clinical office assistant
- Transcription assistant
- Assistant medical records officer
Earning Your Extension Certificate
Complete the 3 required courses (65 hours). All courses offered online.
May be completed within 1 semester but must be completed within 3 years.
- Check the technical requirements for using the Blackboard online learning platform prior to registering for any of the courses.
- Please log in to your Blackboard course on the official course start date and refer to your Course Outline for assignment due dates.
- The listed course hours indicate the estimated time for students to review the online learning units. Your actual time spent completing assignments may vary.
All courses in this program are offered every semester.
Medical Terminology I
Investigate the origins and rationale for anatomical terms in this entry-level course. Explore the basic components and meaning of medical terms.
|Subject code: XMED 10004||20 Hours. Fee: $325|
|CRN 50634||Online||May 4-Jun. 7|
Medical Terminology II
Build on the knowledge gained in Medical Terminology I. Explore the terminology related to basic anatomy, body structures and tissues, and major systems and functions within the body.
Prerequisite: Medical Terminology I
|Subject code: XMED 10005||20 Hours. Fee: $325||Choose 1 of the CRNs below|
|CRN 31010||Online||Mar. 9-Apr. 3|
|CRN 50635||Online||Jun. 15-Jul. 12|
Medical Terminology III
Continue to build on the knowledge of medical terms you acquired in Medical Terminology I and II. Focus on complex medical terms, common diseases, symptoms and treatments.
Prerequisites: Medical Terminology I; Medical Terminology II
|Subject code: XMED 10006||25 Hours. Fee: $399||Choose 1 of the CRNs below|
|CRN 31012||Online||Apr. 7-May 15|
|CRN 70246||Online||Jul. 20-Aug. 15|
Click here for instructions
403.440.3833 or 1.877.287.8001
403.440.6867 or 1.866.616.3606
Mount Royal University, 4825 Mount Royal Gate SW, Calgary AB T3E 6K6
Customize this program for your organization through our Corporate Training department.