|JOB TITLE:||WEB DEVELOPER AND GRAPHIC DESIGNER|
|Position Type:||Technology Assistant IV|
|Term:||Full-time, One Year Replacement Term|
|Department:||Academic Development Centre|
|Date Posted:||January 11, 2013|
|Closing Date:||January 31, 2013|
Mount Royal University’s Academic Development Centre (ADC), situated in the Faculty of Teaching and Learning, is committed to fostering excellence and innovation in support of learning. The ADC requires a Web Developer and Graphic Designer, who will be the technical lead in the development of online courses, working in support of the instructional design process. This position involves design and development of digital learning objects (interactivities) and media artifacts; design and development of web pages; management of web templates and image libraries, print media; and information architecture and user experience design applied to integrating course elements into learning technologies, primarily Blackboard Learning Management System. The work is project based, and involves collaboration around multiple concurrent initiatives, working with the ADC team, and with faculty in their role as content experts for eLearning projects.
This position reports to the ADC Manager of Learning Technologies, and is situated within a small team of instructional designers. The incumbent will support the eLearning mandate of ADC, through the design and development of innovative and sustainable web-based technologies, as tools for instruction, knowledge creation and social learning.
The Web Developer and Graphic Designer is accountable for the following major functions:
• Planning and research into various tools that support the course objectives and web/print/media requirements.
• Design and development of graphical elements and interactivities for web-based learning activities.
• Design and development of webpage templates; the management of file libraries associated with web presentation and publishing.
• Consultation with instructional design project team and faculty content experts to interpret, design and produce visual media artifacts.
• Co-ordination with ADC media specialists for the production of video media.
• Co-ordination and supervision of annual course maintenance projects, where online courses are reviewed for media and URL integrity, and updated for improved usability (the Garage Program).
• Participation in the testing and piloting of eLearning projects, as required.
• Aligning activities and priorities for multiple concurrent projects, and following the established practices for project work in this instructional design domain.
• Other related tasks as required to support departmental initiatives
Diploma and/or Bachelors Degree in Information Systems, with a focus on or digital communications/publishing, new media design, multimedia etc Web and Information Design, and a portfolio of visual design artifacts that demonstrate design skills or Equivalent Education and Experience; plus minimum two years experience working in an equivalent role
• working with educational resources, ideally in a post-secondary environment
• collaborating with numerous diverse individuals and groups in reaching a common goal
• researching, testing and troubleshooting software
• web content management and learning management systems (CMS and LMS)
• project management principles
• communicating technical concepts in an easy-to-understand manner to non-technical users
• Proficient with HTML, CSS
• Experience with Blackboard
• Experience with Google Analytics and Google Apps
• Proficient with Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Flash and ActionScript, InDesign, Dreamweaver
|Closing Date:||January 31, 2013|
MOUNT ROYAL UNIVERSITY
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
4825 MOUNT ROYAL GATE SW
CALGARY, AB T3E 6K6
Submit a separate covering letter and resume for each position you are applying for, quoting appropriate competition number to the address noted above.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
If applying by email, please send your resume as an attachment, in either .doc, .docx or .pdf formats only
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Mount Royal University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to fostering diversity as a source of excellence, intellectual and cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome applications from those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, faculty and their scholarship including but not limited to Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, ethnic, national or socio-economic background, religion or age.