Sonya L. Jakubec
Degrees: RN, BHScN (Auckland), MN (UVic), PhD (c) (Calgary)
Mount Royal University,
Coordinator, Centre for Child Wellbeing,
Faculty of Health, Community and Education
School of Nursing
4825 Mount Royal Gate SW,
Calgary, AB, Canada, T3E 6K6
Areas of Instruction:
Community Health, Mental Health Promotion, Community Development, Lifespan Health Promotion and Wellbeing, Trends and Issues in Nursing Leadership, Research Literacy and Critique, Creative and Arts-based Pedagogical Practices
- PhD, University of Calgary
- MN, University of Victoria
- BHSc (Nursing), Auckland
Diploma in Nursing, University of Alberta Hospitals School of Nursing
Office: School of Nursing Y266 and Centre for Child Wellbeing U267
Related Employment History:
Associate Professor (tenured), School of Nursing and Midwifery, Mount Royal University
December 2007 – Present
Assistant Professor (tenure track), School of Nursing, Mount Royal University
August 2005 – December 2007
Instructor, School of Nursing, Mount Royal College
August 2003 – August 2005
Faculty, School of Nursing, Okanagan University College
August 2000 – August 2003
Clinical Instructor, School of Nursing, University of Victoria
May 1999 – July 2000
● Mental health promotion
● Community health and wellbeing across the lifespan
● Environment and health
● Parks/nature and health connections
● Community development, activism and advocacy practices
● Research literacy and critique
● Participatory and qualitative methods
● Critical and institutional ethnographic approaches
Community Service Interests: When not at the university you may find Dr. Jakubec in Alberta Parks with inclusive parks activities (including group walking, hiking and cross country skiing), volunteering in Yoho National Park with the Field Recreation and Arts Association, or puttering in the Mount Royal University Campus Community Garden.
Select Recent Publications:
· Jakubec, S.L., Astle, B.J. (2017). Research Literacy for Health and Community Practice. Toronto: Canadian Scholars’ Press.
· Choi, L., Jakubec, S.L. (2017). An On-Line Learning Journey of Diversity and Bias. In D.K. Deardorff & L.A. Arasaratnam-Smith. Intercultural Competence in Higher Education: International approaches, assessment and application (pp.169-173). London: Routledge.
· Jakubec, S.L., MacDonald, S. – Canadian Authors (2016). Stanhope, M., Lancaster, J. Community Health Nursing in Canada – 3rd Edition, Elsevier.
· Wipond, R., Jakubec, S.L. (2016). Chapter 9:“Creating the Better Workplace”: Identifying the ideology and institutional arrangement that reframe employee productivity and dissatisfaction as psychiatric issues, in B. Burstow (Ed). Psychiatry Interrogated. Palgrave Macmillan.
· Jakubec, S.L. Rankin, J.M. (2016). Chapter 6: Interrogating the rights discourse and knowledge-making regime of the “Movement for Global Mental Health”, in B. Burstow (Ed). Psychiatry Interrogated. Palgrave Macmillan.
· Janzen, K.J., Szabo, J., Jakubec, S.L. (2016). Taking the Quantum Leap: Creative Arts as a Gateway into Exploring Transition for Senior Nursing Students. Canadian Curriculum Studies: A Métissage of Inspiration/Imagination/Interconnection, (issue, number and page - pending).
· Unrau, M., Jakubec, S.L., Jeske, S. (2016). Somatics Education for Crisis Intervention Training. Arts and Health: An International Journal of Research, Policy and Practice, online November 2016, 1-6.
· Jakubec, S.L., Carruthers Den Hoed, D., Ray, H., Krishnamurthy, A. (2016). Mental Well-being and Quality of Life Benefits of Inclusion in Nature for Adults with Disabilities and Their Caregivers. Landscape Research, 41(6), 616-627. DOI: 10.1080/01426397.2016.1197190
· Szabo, J., Jakubec, S.L., Janzen, K.J. (2016). Quiet Lampshade in the Corner?: Exploring Fourth Year Nursing Students' Narratives of Transition to Professional Practice. Quality Advancement in Nursing Education - Avancées en formation infirmière, 2(1), Article 4. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.17483/2368-6669.1059
· El Hussein, M., Jakubec, S.L. Osuji, J. (2016). The FACTS: A mnemonic for the rapid assessment of rigor in qualitative research studies. Journal of Nursing Education, 55(1), 60.
· El Hussein, M., Jakubec, S. L., & Osuji, J. (2015). Assessing the FACTS: A Mnemonic for Teaching and Learning the Rapid Assessment of Rigor in Qualitative Research Studies. The Qualitative Report, 20(8), 1182-1184. Retrieved from http://nsuworks.nova.edu/tqr/vol20/iss8/3
· Simpson, S.D., Jakubec, S.L., Zawaduk, C., & Lyall, C. (2015). Integrating Global Citizenship through Local Teaching Practices. Quality Advancement in Nursing Education - Avancées en formation infirmière, 1(2), Article 2. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.17483/2368-6669.1031
· Jakubec, S.L. (2015). Research Literacy. In Smith, M. J., Carpenter, R., & Fitzpatrick, J. J. (Editors). (2015). Encyclopedia of nursing education. New York: Springer Publishing, pp. 297-299.
· Jakubec, S,L., Carruthers Den Hoed, D., Ray, H. (2014). ‘I Can Reinvent Myself Out Here’: Experiences of Nature Inclusion and Mental Well-Being, in B.M. Altman, Barnartt, S.N. (ed). Research in Social Science and Disability (Environmental Contexts and Disability, Volume 8). Emerald Group Publishing Limited, pp.213 – 229. DOI 10.1108/S1479-354720140000008012
● 2017-present: Coordinator, Centre for Child Wellbeing, Faculty of Health, Community and Education
● 2016-2017: Chair, Parks and Protected Areas Research Group, Institute for Environmental Sustainability
● 2015-Present: General Faculty Council Research and Scholarship Subcommittee Member
● 2005-Present: School of Nursing and Midwifery Scholarship and Research Committee Member
- October 2016: College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta: Research Excellence Award Nomination
- December 2014: Mount Royal University – Poster Award (first place): Scholar’s Showcase
- June 2013: Mount Royal University - Effective Team Award: 2013 Flood Response Team
- May 2013: Publication Award: Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2013. Emerald Publishers “Highly Commended Award Winner” for ““More than the house”: a Canadian perspective on housing stability”
- October 2012: Queen’s Jubilee Award of Excellence (Nursing) Nominee, College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
- March 2012: Poster Award (first place): Alberta Addictions and Mental Health Research Partnership Program. Found in Translation Research Event, Edmonton, AB, Canada.
- January 2012: Distinguished Faculty Award Nominee, Mount Royal University, Calgary, AB, Canada
- January 2010: Distinguished Scholar Award Nominee, Mount Royal University, Calgary, AB, Canada