Management Career Opportunity
|JOB TITLE:||DEAN, CENTRE FOR COMMUNICATION STUDIES|
|Department:||Centre for Communication Studies|
|Date Posted:||December 06, 2007|
Mount Royal College was founded in 1910 with the goal of helping students achieve their full potential. The Institution has grown considerably since then, and has earned a reputation for excellence in teaching and learning.
With three locations, the Institution boasts a complement of 8,000 full-time equivalent students annually in a wide variety of programs ranging from undergraduate degrees and applied degrees, to university transfer programs and international exchanges. Mount Royal continues to experience high demand for its programs and plans to begin offering baccalaureate degrees in 2007 while growing by an additional 2,500 students by 2010. An additional 45,000 students are also registered in the Conservatory and continuing education courses. The College operates within a collegial environment and approaches decision making in a consultative manner.
The Institution’s campus reflects the cultures, languages and perspectives of its varied students, faculty and staff. Those working at Mount Royal are comprised of approximately 700 credit faculty (represented by the Mount Royal Faculty Association), 600 support staff (represented by the Mount Royal Support Staff Association), 75 management employees and 770 non-credit faculty. For more information, visit Mount Royal’s website at www.mtroyal.ca
The Centre for Communications Studies:
Through its knowledgeable and dedicated instructors, the Centre has earned a national reputation for excellence. The Centre offers a bachelor's degree in Applied Communications with majors in Journalism, Public Relations, Technical Communication, and Electronic Publishing, as well as a diploma in Broadcasting and a certificate in Technical Writing. The Centre meets the growing demand for high-calibre communication programs in a changing world, and is poised for the College’s impending transition to a university level institution providing undergraduate baccalaureate degrees.
|Duties:||Mount Royal College is looking for a Dean, Centre for Communication Studies who will report directly to the Provost and Vice-President, Academic Affairs. The incumbent in this role will have the institutional responsibility and primary obligation to provide strategic leadership, development and direction of the Centre. The incumbent will also have primary responsibility of implementing the College’s new Academic Plan as it relates to the Centre, including instituting a Bachelor of Communications program.|
• Doctoral degree preferred
• Master’s degree required
• In rare circumstances, a candidate without a graduate degree with extensive professional experience may be considered
• Extensive experience in communications, public relations, journalism, technical communication or electronic publishing
• Proven management experience including managing people, budgets, and administration
• Experience within a post secondary environment desirable
• Experience with or understanding of research and its role within a University setting
• Experience in industry and contacts across various industry groups desirable
• Experience managing change in an organization and helping people deal with change
• Experience in an advocacy role representing varying interests
• Experience dealing with multiple stakeholders
• Experience serving as a spokesperson or public figure including making presentations and representing their organization
• International experience would be attractive
• Already connected or the ability to develop connections with diverse groups including academics, industry and research groups
• Ability to lead in a changing collegial environment working with other leaders
• Comfortable being a spokesperson representing an organization and being in the public eye
• Excellent interpersonal, communications, and presentation skills
• A leader who is open, sensitive, trusting, resourceful, supportive, and a mentor to his/her team, capable of managing conflicts
• A problem solver and strategic thinker
• Empathizes with students, committed to students and student success
• Literacy in technology
BOYDEN GLOBAL EXECUTIVE SEARCH
PHONE: 403.237.6603 EXT 304
Submit a separate covering letter and resume for each position you are applying for, quoting appropriate competition number to the address noted above.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
If applying by email, please send your resume as an attachment, in either .doc, .docx or .pdf formats only
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Mount Royal University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to fostering diversity as a source of excellence, intellectual and cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome applications from those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, faculty and their scholarship including but not limited to Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, ethnic, national or socio-economic background, religion or age.