|JOB TITLE:||DEAN, CONTINUING EDUCATION & EXTENSION|
|Department:||Continuing Education & Extension|
|Date Posted:||November 08, 2012|
|Closing Date:||November 26, 2012|
The Faculty of Continuing Education and Extension has been providing practical, strategic and up-to-the-minute personal and professional development programs and courses for 65 years. Its current operation sees over 40,000 registrants (~18,000 individuals) annually in a variety of fields, including business, entrepreneurship, information technology, environment, fine arts and health and community development. In addition, the Faculty has a Corporate Training department that delivers customized training to external businesses and organizations. The Faculty has a mandate to offer quality, market-driven, cost-effective programs. The goal is continued growth as the city of Calgary grows, while maintaining the current level of customer service in building skills for career change and enhancement. Programs are offered in affiliation with business organizations and professional associations, leading to a certificate of completion, credit-free certificate, diploma or professional designation that is widely recognized and helps the learner to secure employment.
In July 2011, the Mount Royal Conservatory joined the Faculty of Continuing Education and Extension as its newest program area. Established in 1910, the Conservatory has been inspiring creativity and excellence in the performing arts for more than 100 years, making a vital contribution to the cultural fabric of Calgary, Alberta and Canada. It offers a broad range of credit-free, personal development and general interest courses in all areas of music, speech arts and drama instruction for people of all ages and levels of development and serves over 4,000 students every year through direct instruction and welcomes tens of thousands more people to a wide array of public performances.
|Duties:||The Dean is the chief academic and administrative officer of the Faculty of Continuing Education and Extension, is a member of Deans’ Council and reports to the Provost and Vice-President Academic. S/he is responsible for providing strong leadership and vision in the articulation and implementation of the Faculty’s evolving strategic plan in alignment with the mission and vision of Mount Royal University. The Dean oversees non-credit programs, budgeting and community engagement initiatives and promotes innovative practice in Continuing Education and Extension. This is a very diverse Faculty which requires an entrepreneurial, creative and innovative academic administrator who can continue to build upon its many strengths.|
The ideal candidate is a dynamic and innovative leader and will bring experience and success as academic administrator. S/he will have demonstrated strong business skills and well developed interpersonal and relationship building skills. The candidate will be future oriented and knowledgeable about adult learners and have experience in the continuing education community.
• A graduate degree is required; a PhD would be an asset
Has demonstrated excellence in:
• Administration in continuing education in a post-secondary setting preferably at the level of Associate Dean, Chair, Head or higher
• Championing the role of continuing education both internally and externally
• Leading planning processes and providing leadership and vision to the Faculty
• Managing and leading human, financial and physical resources and to the business of the Faculty
• Building and communicating a robust business plan consistent with the financially self-sustaining, revenue generating mandate of the Faculty
• Managing an operation through periods of significant fluctuation in market conditions and available resources
• Mobilizing support for new innovation and creative initiatives
• Initiating and proactively responding to novel opportunities locally, nationally and internationally
• Interacting effectively with multiple constituencies including private companies, government, professional organizations, NGO’s, community groups and other universities
• Fostering excellence in teaching and research
Has the ability:
• To work in a complex environment by establishing priorities and maintaining a balance between short and long-term goals
• To articulate a strong commitment to the development and innovation of all areas represented within the Faculty
• To be persuasive and negotiate effectively
• To balance decisiveness with the need for consultation and building consensus
• To administrate a Faculty composed of 90 staff and 800 part-time instructors
• To communicate effectively and persuasively to students, faculty, staff, and the external community
For the full position profile or to learn more please call Maureen MacLean or Maureen Geldart at (604) 926-0005, or forward your CV, a letter of introduction and the names of three referees in confidence.
|Closing Date:||November 26, 2012|
THE GELDART GROUP
EXECUTIVE SEARCH & LEADERSHIP CONSULTING
Submit a separate covering letter and resume for each position you are applying for, quoting appropriate competition number to the address noted above.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
If applying by email, please send your resume as an attachment, in either .doc, .docx or .pdf formats only
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Mount Royal University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to fostering diversity as a source of excellence, intellectual and cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome applications from those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, faculty and their scholarship including but not limited to Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, ethnic, national or socio-economic background, religion or age.