In addition to GFC standing and ad hoc committees, the Faculty Council for each Faculty shall be recognized as part of the academic decision-making structure of the University and operate as a standing committee to GFC.
Each Faculty has a Faculty Council comprised of:
- the Dean, Associate Dean and Director of the Faculty
- all tenured, tenurable and conditional tenurable faculty
- elected contract faculty representatives from the departments/programs in the Faculty
- student representatives appointed by the Students’ Association
- student representatives appointed by the Dean in consultation with the Chairs
- an elected non-academic staff member
The Faculty Councils are chaired by the Dean or Director. The President and the Provost and Vice-President, Academic are ex officio members of all Faculty Councils.
A Faculty Council is responsible for the affairs of the Faculty. It meets to review and render decisions on approval, or recommendations, regarding submissions of courses and programs, program admission requirements and all other matters pertaining to academic governance.
Faculty Councils normally meet at least four times per academic year. Meetings are open to non-members from within the Mount Royal community.Annual Reports of Faculty Councils
Each Faculty Council is required to present an Annual Report at the first GFC meeting in the Fall.
The following Annual Reports for 2017-2018 will be submitted to GFC by each Faculty Council in September 2018:
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Business and Communication Studies
- Faculty of Health, Community and Education
- Faculty of Science and Technology
- Faculty of Teaching and Learning
- University Library
For more information on particular Faculty Councils and their meeting schedules, please contact the appropriate Dean’s office.