Withdrawal from a Course

If you wish to stop attending a class after the last date to drop a course or cancel your registration, you can withdraw online or in person at the Office of the Registrar using a withdrawal form. This must be done on or before the last day to withdraw.

When you withdraw from a class, you will receive a W on your transcript, but it will not affect your GPA. You will not receive a refund for the tuition that you paid for the course. If you do not officially withdraw from courses that you have stopped attending, you will receive an F grade for those courses. F grades are included in the calculation of your GPA and could have a serious impact on your academic status at Mount Royal.

Generally, withdrawing from a class is always a better choice than receiving an F, but you are encouraged to meet with your academic advisor to discuss the consequences of withdrawing versus receiving a poor or even failing grade in a course.

Before you withdraw you should:

  • Talk to your professor.
  • Meet with your academic advisor to see how withdrawing will affect your academic timeline.
  • Check with Student Awards and Financial Aid if you currently have a student loan or have completed a confirmation of enrolment form.

 Withdrawal with Cause
You may request approval for a withdrawal from a course or program after the withdrawal deadline with supporting documentation that clearly establishes a medical and/or psychological reason for the request. You must provide supporting documentation that explicitly states why the medical and/or psychological condition made it impossible to meet the deadline and/or why you are not in a position to complete the semester. If applicable, you must also provide an explanation why you did not pursue an 'I' contract for the course.

All requests are subject to a review and approval process. Requests for a refund will not be considered after the Drop/Add deadline.

You must complete a Request for Late Withdrawal Form from the Registrar’s Office and return it with supporting documentation to the Registrar’s Office on or before the last day of classes. If your request is approved, you will receive a “Withdrawal with Cause” (WC) on your permanent academic record for all withdrawn courses.

Requests to withdraw from courses or from Mount Royal will not be accepted over the telephone.

Please consult the Academic Calendar for additional details regarding withdrawal from courses or complete withdrawal from Mount Royal.