Get Help

Resources available


The safety and wellbeing of community members are a priority at MRU.  Support is available for anyone who has experiences with sexual violence, dating violence, domestic abuse and stalking.  An Advocate can provide confidential information and support and discuss on and off campus reporting options and services that are available.  

Address your safety concerns while on campus.
Provide accurate and relevant information about on and off campus services
Inform you about reporting options to both the police and MRU, as well as the subsequent processes, and your rights throughout.
Minimize re-victimization and further trauma and be a single point of contact on campus.
Provide support with accessing academic accommodations

MRU Advocates are trained to respond to the needs of those who have been impacted by relationship and sexual violence.  Information shared with an Advocate is completely confidential and available to any MRU student or employee, regardless of when or where they experienced violence. There is no obligation to report.


The impacts of dating, domestic and sexual violence can be far reaching. For some people, they notice that they have a difficulty focusing on their academics, or find it challenging being situated near a particular person who has caused harm.

Accommodations can be made to support students in being able to participate in their academics as they manage the impacts that trauma can have.  Accommodations can be flexible, but may look like: 
  • Withdrawing from a class

  • Getting an extension on an assignment

  • Moving classrooms or switching course section

Accommodations can be accessed through an Advocate.  Please click here to make an appointment.

A report can be made through an Advocate.  Please click here to make an appointment.

An investigation will be done and all available evidence and witnesses will be documented. If the report is against a student, the Office of Student Conduct will review the investigation and a hearing will be held. It is optional for all parties to attend the hearing and a support person can come to the hearing. The Office of Student Conduct will then come to a decision.

If the report is against a faculty or staff member, Human Resources will conduct the investigation as well as make the decision about actions to proceed with.

Advocate’s are available to inform survivors about this process and support them through the proceedings.

This is a separate process to criminal proceedings and there is no obligation to report to the police if you report to MRU. If you would like to report to the police, this must be done separately.

Talking to someone can be helpful in managing the impacts of dating, domestic and sexual violence. There are several options of trained people you can speak to on and off campus.  These are all confidential supports

On Campus
MRU Advocate
MRU Advocates can provide confidential information and support to those who have experienced dating, domestic, and/or sexual violence. This team supports survivors in understanding and accessing the different options and resources available.  Please click here to make an appointment.

MRU Advocate


ccasa on Campus
A Sexual Assault Worker from Calgary Communities Against Sexual Abuse is on campus to provide support to members of the MRU community every other Thursday at the Wellness Centre. They specialize in speaking to people who have experienced sexual assault and childhood sexual abuse, as well as those who are supporting loved ones who have experienced sexual violence.

To book an appointment phone the CCASA support  and information line (403.237.5888) and let them know that you are an MRU community member. The appointment will take place in Wellness Services (orange wall on the way to Recreation), U216 (proceed to Student Counselling desk on your right to let them know you are there.)

Student Counselling Services

Counsellors at MRU are available by appointment to support managing crisis, stress and trauma.  To book an appointment call 403.440.6362 or drop by Wellness Services (orange wall on the way to Recreation), U216 (proceed to Student Counselling desk on your right)
Off Campus
Calgary Communities Against Sexual Abuse
Calgary Communities Against Sexual Abuse (ccasa) is a local sexual assault service agency that works to support survivors of sexual assault or abuse. Their support and information line can be reached at 403.237.5888. This line is available as immediate support or an intake can be done to get an appointment to see a counsellor. 

Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter
The Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter (CWES) is focused on ending family violence, including dating and domestic violence. Professionally trained counsellors are available to provide counselling, safety planning, information and support to all genders.
Their 24-Hour Helpline can be reached at 403. 234.7233.

Supporting Someone who was sexually assaulted or who is in an abusive relationship.

Ensure Safety. Ensure that the perpetrator is gone and that the survivor has a safe place to stay. If there is immediate danger, phone the police 911 or campus security 403.440.5900.

Provide Options. Familiarize yourself with  the ‘What are my options’ tab above. Support them in whatever decision they make and help them access the resources they want.

Some key messages that can be helpful are

I believe you
Sexual assault is not your fault
You have the right to set your own limits in any relationship
What you are feeling are normal responses to trauma
I am here to listen
You are not to blame for someone else’s behaviour
Violence is never okay or justifiable
Offer options about what resources are available (see below)
Things to avoid:
Do not point out things that they could have done differently to prevent the assault or abuse from happening.
Do not question why they did or did not do certain things
Do not ask they tell you what happened
Do not give advice
Take care of yourself.  It can be very difficult to hear that someone that you care about has been hurt or abused. After receiving a disclosure and supporting, check in with how you are feeling and what you might be needing to support yourself. 
The impacts of dating, domestic and sexual violence can have physical, psychological, emotional and spiritual effects. Consciously taking care of yourself can be helpful to recovery. This means taking care of yourself and doing things that feel good.
Find the strategies that are right for you, such as:
Drinking Water
Eating Healthy
Spending time with friends you trust
Listening to music
Self-Care Resources

Self-Care is Not Optional, Marcia Baczynski

4 Ways to Overcome Self-Blame After a Sexual Assault, Sian Ferguson 
The decision to participate in the criminal justice system can be a very difficult decision to make. Reporting sexual assault is completely optional and never mandatory.

It is never too late to report sexual assault to the police. However, some evidence is time sensitive and as time passes it may be difficult to obtain certain pieces of information that can substantiate the investigation. That being said, it is absolutely okay for you to take your time to consider if reporting to the police is right for you and to do so when you are ready.  

There are three different options in reporting a sexual assault to the police:
  1. You or a support person can phone the Calgary Police Service: 403.266.1234 and a Constable can come to your home.
  2. You can go into your local district office and make a report. If the district is particularly busy they may not be able to take the report at that moment. It is possible to schedule an appointment at your local district online. Go to Calgary Police Service and select Schedule Your Appointment.
  3. With an MRU Advocate, you can phone CPS and have a Constable come to the MRU campus. You can make the report in a discreet and confidential location.

It is possible to request a specific gender of Constable; however, it might take longer for them to arrive and one may not be available at that time.

The Reporting Process

The police officer will take your statement. Often they will ask you to tell them what happened as you remember it and then they will ask clarifying questions. The officers will want to make sure they have as many details as possible, so at times these questions may feel very personal; however, these details are necessary to complete a proper investigation. They may ask for a written statement as well. They will provide you with the means to do this written statement, however, if you had previously written out a statement and wished to provide this to the officers you can as well. Throughout making this report, you can take breaks at any time.

The report that you make will be given a file number. Keep the file number and the name and badge number of the constable in your records so that if you wish to inquire about the report the police can easily locate it within the system.        

For more information about the legal process from reporting to court phone Calgary Communities Against Sexual Abuse and ask to book an appointment with a Police and Court Education and Support Worker at 403.237.5888.
Sexual Violence Response and Awareness Coordinator
Cari Ionson
If you have been recently sexually assaulted (in the past 96 Hours) you can go to Sheldon Chumir Medical Centre and see the Calgary Sexual Assault Response Team (CSART).   CSART is a team of Doctors, Nurses, and Advocates. This team can look after any medical concerns that you may have and, if you choose, do a sexual assault kit and collect any forensic evidence in the case that you decide to report to the police.

To access CSART go to the Sheldon-Chumir Health Centre and tell the intake nurse that you have been sexually assaulted.  If you have any questions about CSART, please call 403.237.5888.  

Health Services at MRU is able to help you with any health concerns you may have. They are located in the Wellness Centre - U216 (on campus) or you can call to schedule an appointment - 403.440.6326.