Catherine Smey Carston
Academic Title: Associate Professor
Administrative Title: Bachelor of Child Studies Coordinator
Areas of Instruction:
Leadership, Mentoring and Coaching, Curriculum Development, Experiential Learning, Early Learning
PhD, University of Calgary; Dissertation: "Exploring Mentoring Relationships"
M.Ed., San Diego State University; Thesis: Early Childhood Education Practicum: Leadership and Supervision
B.A. Rec. Admin., University of Alberta
Phone : 403.440.6447
• workplace learning
• student engagement
• experiential Learning, practica and capstones
• student global learning experiences
Professional Community Service Interests: Professional Development Learning Plans, Coaching Conversations, Learning Communities, Mentoring
Research and Scholarly Projects:
• Smey Carston, C & Baxter, J . (2012 - present). Alberta ELCC Curriculum Framework Pilot project. Funded by the Alberta Ministry of Human Services, Child Care Development Branch (Grant)
• Baxter, J., & Smey Carston, C. (2014, March 31). Alberta Early Learning and Child Care Curriculum Framework Pilot Evaluation. For Alberta Ministry of Human Services, Child Development Branch. 110 pp. (Report)
• Carston, C., Dean, Y., London, C. & Salyers, V. (2013, Dec). Exploring student motivations, expectations & experiences when engaged in international learning. Poster presented at the 2013 Faculty of Health & Community Studies, Research & Scholarship Showcase, Mount Royal University. Calgary, AB.
• Smey Carston, C. (2009), "The mentoring experience". ACCC Early Childhood Education (ECE) Faculty Forum, Grant McEwen University, Edmonton, AB. Keynote Address.